3-4WD sr5 tercel wagons & 3-2WD+parts NW AR @$1.9K

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dav de
My tercel:: 1985 toyota tercel sr5

3-4WD sr5 tercel wagons & 3-2WD+parts NW AR @$1.9K

Post by dav de »

6 complete lil or no rust southern & sw tercel wagons plus lotza extra parts including a '84 sr5 4WD AUTO wagon, other 3 are 6spd EL standard trans, also another sr5 6spd stored in northern CA

craigslist post where I will soon post more pictures of these cars: http://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/5525628975.html

I need to clear out shop since I won't now convert these tercels to EV's as planned. $1.9K for all 6 cars in Arkansas + parts here & OEM shop manual.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 3-4WD sr5 tercel wagons & 3-2WD+parts NW AR @$1.9K

Post by irowiki »

Oh hello, someone else posted about this!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12069

Did you have concrete plans for converting them to EV's? I'd be very interested if so, as that is one of my pocket dreams for the ultimate commuter car.

Also curious as to what you are calling an AT SR5. Was the transmission swapped, or was everything else swapped to the AT body?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dav de

Post by dav de »

hi Irowiki & Chris

1st, thanx Chris for linking to my post here. Yes, in 2011 I did start working with a Prof. John Fagan, now retired, from the EE dept at University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. A very knowledgable guy on electric vehicles (EVs). He led teams starting in 1990 completing in (& completing) the Australian 1,800-mile World Solar Challenge EV rally race thru rugged outback.

see post- http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/zink ... a3c09.html

Dr Fagan & his assistant, now Dr David Sandman, helped me design the clutching assembly coupler to mount onto a 120hp AC drive motor that would then mate to a single speed transmission for the 2WD models or to the Toyota OEM 6spd manual trans in 4WD models. This 4WD geared assembly would create an incredible torquing rock crawler for the quartz Wichita Mtns in sw Okla or the Rockies a lil farther away in CO. The real hold back that caused me to delay building a fleet of 3-2WD & 3-4WD Tercel wagons was the $10K price tag for each car's rack of state of the art lithium iron phosphate ion batteries. Initially I had planned to use the Bosch designed 24 kWh 364 V lithium-ion battery packs that were then being tested for the yet to be produced Fiat 500e. I had a contact in their testing who was trying to get me several sets of these batteries after testing was completed. But we ran into trouble getting an OK from both Fiat & Bosch management allowing these proprietary batteries to be sold rather than destroying the 8 or 10 complete sets of batteries & just recycling the lithium and other metals in them after running the testing. What a waste of over a $100K worth of EV batteries.

About the same time I took some EV conversion classes in San Jose from some techies who were involved with Tesla nearby. I heard that Tesla's batteries were light years ahead of anything the major car manufacturers were building and Tesla was dedicated to getting the price of EV's down well below the $109K base price for the 1st Lotus Elise donor based Tesla Roadster back in 2010. I had conversations with 2 EV conversion companies in the SF Bay Area that were using E-series BMW's &, not surprisingly Lotus donor vehicles. =They all advised against using a nearly 30yr old low end Toyota to create a $30K EV that would lack many safety features, ie. air bags, ABS, & many of the "luxury" features people are accustom to in a car costing that much. It took me another 2 years before I finally came to agree with their appraisal. But I am still proceeding with the conversion of my 1970 s2 Lotus Europa.
lotus europa s2 photo from manual.JPG
dav de

Post by dav de »

Oh, & re the one sr5 with an automatic transmission, the car has the driveshaft to the rear wheels & is certainly an automatic trans but I will look closer to fine out whether it may have been slipped in by a previous owner, it looks pretty OEM in the passenger cab of this Tercel wagon
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Oh I mean chances are someone took a MT SR5 and swapped the AT in.

Or took an AT DLX and swapped all the SR5 stuff over like I was doing before I sold mine.

So you mean you have the device to couple the electric motor to the tercel's transmission/drivetrain? How much for one?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dav de

Post by dav de »

it is a cut down OEM 3ac Toyota engine flywheel

I believe that David Sandman may still have it at OU. I never picked it up. Do you want me to inquire with him about it?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Sure, it's worth a shot.

And what of the "single speed transmission" for 2WD, was it something special?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k