83 4wd manual trans

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
jerand9505
My tercel:: 1983 sr5

83 4wd manual trans

Post by jerand9505 »

Hey guys, I come here with a heavy heart to list this thing. I bought it in November from a fellow in South Carolina, he purchased it from the second owner. I had my brother purchase the car as he lives in Clemson and I in New York City. Upon arriving I noticed three gasket spacers and a zip tie on the carb, cracked top of radiator, noisy blower motor, chunk missing from the belt etc. It went to our family Toyota mechanic for over $2000 of work. New hoses, belts, timing belt, m/c, brake booster, brand new radiator, temp sender, new alternator, CV, new tires, carb, radio and two months later almost a complete new exhaust. Some little stuff as well I'm sure i'm forgetting. No rust underneath and only some surface rust where the paint has worn. Driver seat is beat up, dome light missing. Back seat and carpet in great shape. Not a show car, I focused on having the mechanicals in working order. It has taken me on a couple of trips up the eastern seaboard and around the tri-state area, and serves as a great little car for taking my mountain bike and friends out to the adirondacks.

That being said, I think it started burning some oil. Maybe it is just the mixture and after 3000 miles the carb needs jetting or adjusting, I do not know. I am a diesel guy by default. It is running a little smoky. It still makes great power and I drive it in the city but haven't taken it on a long enough drive to see if there is any oil consumption. Before this past few weeks with the warm weather, no smoke and no oil consumption even on a 500 mile highway trip. Still cruises up the FDR with traffic at 65 no problem. Coming from an 87 Camry wagon I know Toyotas can have a penchant for rings after 200k. What is a fair price to ask? 217-ish on the clock, I have over $4000 in the car and I know I won't get that back. I'm doing a compression test at our garage this weekend and will post the results here. Starts with a bump of the key and holds a smooth idle. A/c needs charged, heat is great. Blower works but is noisy, I run the fan on low. I was thinking $2500 for the forum price? Drives tighter and smoother than my friend's SR5 with 150k. I Have copies of paperwork for everything but the tires, radio and exhaust which you can see are new. More pictures available on request. PM me with questions or for my phone number if you would like to call and/or text me for more information. Happy to talk and thank you to everyone here for being a resource for these cars. Thanks, Jeremy

irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 83 4wd manual trans

Post by irowiki »

If you put that much in it, why sell it?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
jerand9505
My tercel:: 1983 sr5

Post by jerand9505 »

irowiki wrote:If you put that much in it, why sell it?
Realizing it is not the car for me. I'm geared towards diesels, especially in smaller cars. If it needs work, i don't have the money for it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

If you have the gear, then working on the Tercel is easy!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that depends on your local market. In Puget sound area where I live these cars are popular and as much as $3500 is typical if it is mechanically sound and a good condition daily driver (we do not really need air conditioning here much). I do not know in your part of the country.

Thought as of lately these cars have started taking on a "classic" reputation and people are willing to drive across several states to find a good reliable Tercel4wd, even if not perfect, but mechanically sound. the small amount of smoke is not a problem, typical for these cars with this many miles on them, it will not harm anything if the consumption is low enough so you are not having to check the oil level more often than each fill up.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)