83 SR5 (Beat Up) Meridian, ID $500

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

83 SR5 (Beat Up) Meridian, ID $500

Post by Mad_Marx »

looks trashed, but it drives...

Looks like this one has the rear wiper delete.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5441003755.html
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: 83 SR5 (Beat Up) Meridian, ID $500

Post by marlinh »

Pretty banged up. I like the exhaust sticking out beyond the damage.

What is that mounted in the front left speaker location?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that car is disgusting. i can just imagine what the owner looks like.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

How so? The interior looks relatively ok. The interior of our white Tercel is much grosser (I really need to tear out the carpet and wash it or burn it or SOMETHING, ANYTHING). That one just looks banged up.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

lannvouivre wrote:How so? The interior looks relatively ok.
you must be joking. it looks like a rats nest.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there are a lot of parts missing on the interior: instrument hood, steering column cover, horn center piece, pedal pads, speaker covers, radio console...what else? Besides the torn seat, which I think makes it look very shabby, the passenger's side door panel has vinyl torn and falling off. I can not identify that shinny metal thing hanging out of where the left front speaker is supposed to be.

might be a decent buy if it is mechanically sound, but it is difficult to imagine that it was mechanically cared for based on the way the exterior and the car's interior was cared for.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

I think that shinny metal thing is a disconnect switch for the battery
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

on the plus side, it looks like there's very little rust... no straight panels, but no big cancer spots... The clinometer might still be good :/
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

dlb wrote:
lannvouivre wrote:How so? The interior looks relatively ok.
you must be joking. it looks like a rats nest.

No, she's not joking. Live in the great South/Southwest where nothing rusts but the sun kills everything and cars go on and on and on, the inside of the one in the ad looks pretty darn good compared to most of the Tercels I have owned!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

sun expose doesn't account for filthy, shredded seats, a partially disassembled dash, rags draped over the exposed dash cluster...

sun-faded and cracked plastics are one thing but this car has obviously been abused and neglected, and i think the interior shows that.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I guess we just have different perspectives of the availability of old cars here.

For $500, that looks in pretty good shape compared to a lot of $1,000 cars around here.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

DLB, you apparently have not seen what happens to other wise good cars when they have been in desert sun for 30 years. all of the plastic parts turn to dust.

And yes, it would account for all of the damage you can see to the interior parts in the picture. once the inside is all falling apart because the plastic parts are disintegrating, there is no incentive to keep it clean and nice, no matter what you do it will look bad. There is no easy way to "restore" plastic once it is falling apart. there is some material over the instrument cluster, likely to keep the lights in the back of the dash from glaring on the windshield at night.

After all the exterior body damage, far more cost to repair than the car is worth, this poor car has just become a cheap transportation car.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:And yes, it would account for all of the damage you can see to the interior parts in the picture.
that's an asinine statement. don't be ridiculous. sun exposure didn't cause the steering wheel horn button, speaker covers, and dash cluster hood to disintegrate into fine particles of dust to be vacuumed up out of the carpet. and even if the dash hood was cracked and faded, it would still look better than dirty old rags IMO.

beyond that, the speaker covers see virtually no sunlight down below the dash, while the steering wheel horn button sees some but nowhere near as much as the dash, so there's no reason for either to magically turn to dust, crack and fall off, etc.

i maintain that this car has been ridden hard and put away wet.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have seen lots of plastic trim, including the instrument hood, turn grey, crack up and fall apart. Yes, it can turn to dust. The seat and the panel on the door certainly get sun damaged, the speakers, radio console, the horn center were likely removed and promply lost (perhaps the radio was stolen? Or some idiot decided he wanted to keep the radio and speakers, and left it a mess).

You who live in the land of perpetual cloudy weather have not seen it. Older cars are often sought after by collectors from desert states. That is great for cars that come from a time when cars have little to no plastic on them. but more and more, many "classics" have large plastic interior panels that get grey, cracked and very brittle. As they get broken up, often the owners just remove them. There may come a time when it will be almost impossible to restore many of the later "collectible" cars to factory condition. For lack of plastic trim pieces, dash and door panels, seat trim, etc.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I give my plastic interior trim/dash/door panels/etc. a wipe-down with Armor-all maybe once a year. It's supposed to protect from UV light, even though we don't get much around here. I'm hoping it will increase the longevity of the plastic. At least it makes it look shiny and fresh looking after I do it. I wonder how many interiors could be saved in sunny areas by a regular application Armor-all or some other kind of toxic stuff.