Stupid woman killed my Tercel!

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
motorcity_rob
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon

Stupid woman killed my Tercel!

Post by motorcity_rob »

Hi All,
I have an 87' Tercel that I just got done doing the clutch (Aisin), tie rods, power steering bellows, all sway bar bushings, kyb's all the way around, and on and on.....
Literally over $2,000 dollars in parts. (I know, how? right). The list is a page long. Well just when I finished this car for my daughter 4 days ago, and got it aligned. She, my daughter, took it to the Post Office the very next day. Here's how it looked before she took it to the post office.
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
Here's how it looked after a stupid woman, not paying attention, blew through a red light and hit my daughter. My daughter came out okay, but it could have been a lot worse. My daughter ended up with sprained/swollen ankle, bumps and bruises. The stupid woman was fine, but her mini-van was totaled.
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG

It pains me to scrap this. I'm trying to save as many parts as possible. Many parts, including my all aluminum radiator, were destroyed.

So, I'd thought I'd try this forum. I know their are a lot of these out west, for sale cheap that I could rebuild. But the problem is, I'm in Detroit, MI. Where there aren't very many of these. None that I can find. So, I was wondering if their are any board members viewing this in the Michigan, Northwest Ohio area, that might have one of these they might be consider selling. -Cheap hopefully.

Or, I guess, if anyone was out there that wanted parts. Most of the parts are not even a week old. I'm not ready to part it out yet, but that might be where I end up. Thanks for reading.
Rob.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Stupid woman killed my Tercel!

Post by Gottolovem »

I'm so sorry what a dumb a** :(
SAVE THE TRANNY AND MATCHING REAR GEARS
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Dan- Think it's a fwd.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
motorcity_rob

Post by motorcity_rob »

Yes, correct. It is an FWD. But any Tercel wagon would take most of my parts.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Probably dig the windows out of their moorings too.
Can't imagine the trouble of needing to replace any one of a tercs windows.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, the important thing is that your daughter escaped (relatively) unscathed - save for a horrible memory.
As a parent of three daughters and having received a similar call, that phone message is knee-trembling until you learn - and see for yourself - the truth.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
motorcity_rob

Post by motorcity_rob »

Thanks Tom. Quite true. I was in a panic when she first called crying her eyes out. She was upset because we had just finished the car. I thought she was really hurt. So I'll just keep on searching for now.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You can probably get the money in the parts back from insurance.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
motorcity_rob

Post by motorcity_rob »

Michigan is no fault. I get nothing, unless I take the woman to small claims court. Which is more trouble then what it's worth.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

What does no fault mean, then?

Anywhere I've ever lived, if some other person causes a wreck, it is on the other person's insurance?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

save the tranny
most of the parts are interchangable with 4wd
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sorry to hear about your efforts being wasted, looks like it was a nice Terrel. Even with insurance it is always a hassle to get even the parts value out of an insurance company. if the person was at fault you are entited to be "made whole", adjusters will lie and say they only have to pay the "book value" and than lie about the book value. It is their job to minimize payout, but it means you have to fight with them.

I do not know what "no fault" means, I thought it was you get reinbursed no matter who is at fault. It might be worth having a lawer make a demand on the woman for your provable expences as a settlement, dangling the threat of lawsuit to get that, and medical expences and pain and suffering, time off work, etc. that might be worth cost of the letter. Courts are a hassle, i have had to do with my business related activity, but if you go prepared you will win. In twenty years I have had to go to court three times, and I won each time. of course sometimes it is not worth the effort, but small claims can be done without too much trouble. You can not let an irresponsible driver get off by doing damage to others.

There are plenty of decent Tercels to be had out west, rust free, often not perfect, but easy to fix. I have flown to other states to buy them, brought my tools to do on-site repairs, and than drove them several thousand miles home. Once I even bought 4 new tires along the way (fist one, than another tire disintegrated on a hot summer 3000 mile drive home, and the others did not look any better). Most of the critical repairs you can do along the way, I usually bring spares for things that might leave me stranded (alternator, fuel pump, belts and timing belt, etc). I figure even marginal brakes can wait until I can get home. I once drove a Tercel with a bad starter and battery 1000 miles, I just made sure I always parked where I could roll start it (which sometimes made me pick one gas station over another to get fuel). When you get your new Tercel home you can use your old one for parts, and than send it to the crusher.

I know the feelings of having to crush a car you put a lot of effort into, I have had to do it twice. but it clearly is not worth fixing, likely badly bent frame. But it will give you a chance to find a nice 4wd SR5 model, good for your winters and holds its valve better.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
motorcity_rob

Post by motorcity_rob »

Hi Petros, thanks for the advice. Basically here in Michigan, no fault means, no one is at fault. If you don't have full coverage, you get nothing, except in small claims. I can win up to $1,000. I've been through this a few times, we've never gotten more than $500 bucks. The lady told the cop she didn't know what color the light was, so no ticket was issued. No witnesses either. At first we we're worried she was going to try and sue our daughter. But she knew she was at fault, so she kinda just left the scene when her husband showed up.

I've seen those cheap one's out west. I'd really like to come get one. But it would be more then its worth to fly out and find one I could drive back.

BTW, thanks to you and Synth and a few others on this board that helped me get this thing up and running. I was looking forward to driving this car for awhile. Well, C'est la vie. - Still looking locally though.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

That is the dumbest idea I've EVER heard. Remind me never to travel to Michigan :lol:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

your small claims is only $1000? most states are much higher, and just because she did not know what color light does not mean she is not at fault. likely she will lie to a judge as well, it means you have to have overwhelming evidence that she is lying and at fault. I agree, not worth $1000, let alone $500. many judges think they are being "fair" by splitting your claim with the defendant, as if the lyer deserves something for fabricating stories.

Part of my work as licensed engineer is to do expert witness work in construction litigation, court rooms are never pleasant places, it is hostile by nature, there is no attempt to find facts or truth, but give a "win" to who can "game" the system better (and the idiot judges allow this kind of game playing, they often seem to be entertained by obviously fabricated stories and award "points" for entertainment value). That is why it is important to be prepared with overwhelming evidence. Usually if you prepare, and than make a demand on the defendant before you go to court (it also helps if you file for a court date first), it lets the other person know you are ready and prepared to go to court and win. That will make most rational people want to negotiate a settlement to avoid the court. Sometimes people do not behave rationally however, and the outcome in a court is anything but certain, no matter how much evidence you have on your side. Judges often use criteria that is a complete mystery on how they make awards in civil matters, all I can say it must that keen legal mind that is out of touch with reality.

One of the reasons I left the Los Angeles area, every stranger you meet (and even people claiming to be your friend) are pathological liars. A whole culture of narcissists and liars. I am certain Michigan is not any better.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)