Well, its NOT a Tercel, but....

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Gogogordy

Well, its NOT a Tercel, but....

Post by Gogogordy »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301659910974?rm ... 0183828657

No, not mine. Just came across this and knew it would find an appreciative audience here.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Well, its NOT a Tercel, but....

Post by Gottolovem »

Verry nice but hard to work on the engine is shoe horned under the seats.
Forum member hikersteve has a few 4wd vans.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

holey shit!
I can totaly buy that . . .
Bet parts are impossible to find. for that 2.0 TD with RHD
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it still has a week to go and it is well over $5k. It should go real high, it has all the desirable features on it: Turbo diesel, manual trans, and 4wd...nice set up. looks like it uses the same 4wd trans as the pickup.

When I see such great vehicles like this I always wonder why they never imported them for the US domestic market. Both Japan and Europe always have all the cool cars.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

wow, manual trans, turbo diesel, high and low range 4x4, and looks mint. super cool.
Petros wrote:When I see such great vehicles like this I always wonder why they never imported them for the US domestic market. Both Japan and Europe always have all the cool cars.
a friend told me recently that vehicles imported for sale in the US were handicapped into the basest of models so that they were less competition for the domestic vehicles.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I see lots of these right-hand-drive 4wd turbo diesel around here (Delicas, Hiace, etc.). They usually go for between $6000 and $10,000.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

dlb wrote:a friend told me recently that vehicles imported for sale in the US were handicapped into the basest of models so that they were less competition for the domestic vehicles.
Possible, part of the trade deal. but that would not go for those vehicle made in US plants, no reason they could not offer the Diesel Camry, or an AWD Camry. I think it may have to do with the corrupted "safety", economy and emissions requirements, lobbied for by the big fat and inefficient US automakers to favor their crappy products. The whole toyota line up gets better fuel economy than the Chrysler, ford and GM line up, but by tweaks to the regulations, it makes the larger and better equipped import vehicles more difficult to qualify, so they leave out the better equipment such as AWD or diesel options since they are heavier get lower fuel economy.

Basically, NO law gets passed the congress unless someone or company is making BIG money off it, foreign companies and governments are specifically barred from making campaign contributions to US elections. So the incompetent US companies have the congress all to themselves. We have a complex law making process, and there is so much money at stake with any law that gets passed, so there is very large incentive for the big players to influence ALL laws to favor their product or industry, even if just a little. It is just the unfortunate reality of the way things work in our capital, that is why we get such crap made in this country.

One of the highest paid CEOs in the US for example, is that crook that started Tesela motors, the company has NEVER turned a profit. He has bilked the taxpayers for almost half a trillion $ in "new technology" subsidies and a stock selling program more like a ponzi scam, only to sell way over priced "luxury" electric cars to wealthy people (at a big loss). So the way to get rich now is to hire lobbyist to get government grants and subsidies, and laws that favor your product line. The true entrepreneur or inventor with a better product will get shut down by laws lobbed for by the big players.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Drooooooooooolllll.....

I love these, and have contemplated a 4WD Van rebuild for years. They're quickly becoming unobtanium, but still cheaper than a Westfalia SYNCRO.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have considered going to canada to pick up something like that, and buy the US equivalent at a wreckers auction, and than transfer the title and the serial number over, plus a few token parts, and get it registered in the US with a salvaged title. One way around the stupid federal laws to get it legally in this country.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

bids are up to $8500 with 2 days to go.