Navigation issues in the FSM?

Talk about Forum Improvements or anything about the forums.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Navigation issues in the FSM?

Post by 4wdchico »

Love the fact that we have the FSM online. However, it is a royal PITA for me to attempt to navigate it with Firefox or IE. I can jump around with the bookmarks function, but that does not do much good, as whenever I try to page up or page down with the buttons they only work from where you were before you jumped to a point with the bookmark. So I end up just guessing where the sections might be and jumping around randomly in the pages tab until I get close to what I want.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
bleakhorizon
My tercel:: 1986 wagon 4x4 6spd, 1985 sr5 4x4 6spd

Re: Navigation issues in the FSM?

Post by bleakhorizon »

ctrl-f.... works really good, then just put the subject number or the page code in
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

bleakhorizon wrote:ctrl-f.... works really good, then just put the subject number or the page code in
Could you please give me an example of how I find these subject numbers or page codes?
bleakhorizon
My tercel:: 1986 wagon 4x4 6spd, 1985 sr5 4x4 6spd

Post by bleakhorizon »

now that i try this on my wifes laptop i see your dilemma, i must have something else on my desktop that lets me search the actuall text in the html..... hmmmm im gona go look now ...

BTW i feel like an ass now lol.....sorry
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Didn't know about Ctrl-F....you can just enter a page number top left and hit enter...you'll go to that page.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

I can go to any page I want via the pages tab. But the pages run from page 1 to page 885. No correlation to the way the pages are numbered in the manual.

So I can navigate this way: I can click on "lubrication system" in the bookmarks tab & I go to that page. Then to find out what page # that is I have to scroll thru the listings in the pages tab to see which one has turned purple indicating that I have been there. In this case LU-1 equals page #206 & knowing this I can go from there thru the lube section by clicking around in the pages tab in pages #'s just above page #206. But, If I want to go to any other section I have found it best to close the FSM and then reopen it so all the slate has been wiped clean in the pages tab. In others words all the page # listings are blue and not purple, purple indicating that i have been there this session. If I don't do this it becomes a PITA real quick trying to figure out which page I have been to before is a sea of purple page #'s.

If I could just jump to a listing in the bookmarks tab and then just have functional buttons for moving forward and back from that point, things would be golden. But using the page forward and back buttons only allows me to go from one end of the FSM to the other one page at a time. In other words, 884 clicks to get from the first to the last page. Sure, I can jump all the way from the front to the back but no where in between.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

takza wrote:Didn't know about Ctrl-F....you can just enter a page number top left and hit enter...you'll go to that page.
I do not have any place in the top left to enter a page #. When you do this, are you entering a page number from #! to page #885 or are you entering something like IN-2, that being page #2 in the intro section?

I do have every page # available to me in the pages tab that sits next to the bookmarks tab. The problem is that there is no correlation between the actual toyota page numbering scheme and the page #'s listed in the pages tab.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Know what you mean...guess I got used to it. I can usually find things fairly fast though.

You don't want the view that shows the pages in miniature...you want the one that shows subject areas. Hit the + mark next to FUEL SYSTEM as an example...you can find what you want pretty fast.

Somebody put mucho work into getting this into PDF...a very good free reference.

Is your pdf reader up to date?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...