3SGE swap - will it fit/bolt in?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Wagonman86
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD

3SGE swap - will it fit/bolt in?

Post by Wagonman86 »

Hey kids. I know that a lot of people on here aren't too keen on what I'm screwing with, but I'm working on an 86 tercel wagon drift build. I believe I have the 3E. Planning to pull all the running gear, bolt in a 3sge beams engine and 6 speed transmission out of an altezza, and get a custom driveshaft to mate it to the rear end (which I plan to replace at some point as well with something beefier). My thought was that a 4AC bolts in directly to both a tercel wagon and an 86 Corolla, and a 3sge bolts directly into an 86, so by the law of syllogism (hah) the 3sge should bolt into the tercel wagon. Am I wrong? Any info is appreciated :D
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 3SGE swap - will it fit/bolt in?

Post by Petros »

I think all of the 3a and 4a engines have the same mount locations, and rear bolt pattern. the 3E is the fuel injected version of the 3A as I recall. it should work I would think.

how are you making an "altezza" trans work, is that not from a Lexus? Front wheel drive?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Wagonman86
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD

Post by Wagonman86 »

Actually my 3E is carbureted. And the altezza transmission comes mated to the 3sge where I'm getting it and it's a rwd. The altezza is just the jdm counterpart of an IS300. But that's good to know that the bolt patterns are the same, thanks!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the 3E is the odd 12-valve head? does it have the distributor off the end of the cam? If so, it might have a clearance issue on the T4wd. either convert to distributorless, or cut a hole in your fire wall.

I do not see a 3E engine listing on the Toyota Wiki page, but shows it was in the 3rd gen Tercel. That used a transvers engine installation. not sure how that will work in the T4wd, but I could be made to work with enough effort.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)