Brake shoe hold-down clip tool

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

Brake shoe hold-down clip tool

Post by c_j »

I'm going to give one of these a try:
brake_clip_tool.JPG
It's a Lisle 48400 "Import Car Brake Clip Tool". We'll see how much better it is than pliers and swearing.
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

Re: Brake shoe hold-down clip tool

Post by c_j »

Well that didn't take long. My opinion: It works slicker than slug snot. Hold the pin in from behind with your finger, and push tool on and turn 90 degrees. Done.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I bought a similar tool from AutoZone about 6 years ago - but this Lisle would work better.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/prod ... category=1 JB Tool Sales has it for $8.58 with free shipping.
It also makes this one, which would make replacing the springs a heck of a lot easier: http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/prod ... category=1
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

Yes, that second one (#45100) is a nice tool as well. I will have to pick one up sometime.

I was just using the plain slip-joint pliers today, but they don't work very well for the return springs.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I always use vice grips on return springs.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

keith wrote:I always use vice grips on return springs.
ditto. needle nosed, all the way.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I would not use needle nose anything on brake springs. Unless you like needle nose holes in your lip! I use side cutters for pulling springs. You really have to squeeze hard to actually cut brake return springs(be careful on the little spring at the bottom). Whenever possible I also use my thumb against a shoe to pull instead of arm pulling. That's how you can hit yourself in the face or at least rake you knuckles across something. If you use vicegrips, at least use some fresh ones with sharp teeth.

The lisle hold down tool works great. Even though I had already gotten very good at using pliers, I bought that tool the moment I saw it. Some hold down pins are too fat and require a little opening up of the tool.