Bolt Science For Nerds

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Bolt Science For Nerds

Post by ARCHINSTL »

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/info.htm
Actually, it's quite interesting, with many threads (giggle...).
I stole this from the Miata Club site.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Bolt Science For Nerds

Post by keith »

The contributing articles by George Lorimor on fastening technology (torque vs torque angle) are very interesting. Before I retired, I worked in the power distribution transformer business. I put a lot of effort into trying to get the industry away from using torque values for parts that were sealed with Buna-N rubber gaskets. The ideal compression for Buna-N is 30%, but most torque values recommended by various supplier engineering departments over compressed the gaskets.

I could convince most of our suppliers engineering departments that the torque values were wrong, and that torque angle was a better measurement, but they would not change their documentation. The problem was that end customers would always default to torque because that is all they understood.