Timing Light Question - Help

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
scouttster
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel Hatchback

Timing Light Question - Help

Post by scouttster »

Hi-
I inquired about a timing light that this lady in upstate NY had for sale on Craigslist ( $8.00 bucks ) I mentioned to her, I am going to figure out shipping costs and get back to you on whether I want it or not.. Her next email, she asked me for my address and I gave it to her.. Again, I told her I am going to figure out shipping costs and get back to you on whether I want it or not.. So, then she just ships it to me.... Go figure..

So, anyway - I have it now ( free of charge ) and I am trying to figure out how to work the thing. Usually they have an inductive timing clamp.. This one has a clamp and I tried clamping it to the #1 wire and its not working.. It also came with this spring thing clamped in just as you see in the picture. Not sure how to use this thing.. Any help appreciated. If I get it to work, I'll send her money.. But, the way it looks now its going back C.O.D on her dime...
By the way, its a HAWK brand out of California. I think they are out of business now..
Last edited by scouttster on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Terkey Hatchback
SethM
Advanced Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5

Re: Timing Light Question - Help

Post by SethM »

I believe you put the spring on the No 1 plug-- pull the plug wire, put one end of the spring onto the plug and attach the plug wire to other end of spring..... Inductive clamp is easier- when its working!
scouttster
Top Notch Member

Post by scouttster »

Thanks, just tried that way and no go.. Thinking maybe its the xenon bulb.. I just tested it with a lead off the + and - of my car battery and no illumination. So, I'd say I need a new bulb.. Anyone know if HAWK is still in business? I cant find much about them when I did a google search.. Thanks
Terkey Hatchback
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That is are really old timing light, I would say it would really rare if it works, and you can still get parts for it. My first timing light had a device like that (35 years ago!). You slip the spring on the end of a spark plug, and plug the plug wire on the end of the spring. Than you put the clamp on the spring, it senses the spark signal directly. You have to run the engine, point the light at the timing mark and hold the switch (what out for the wires!). I doubt it is worth anything if it does not work, the bulbs are expensive. I have bought good runing used ones at 2nd hand stores for $10. Name brand ones like Craftsman or Snap-on, you just have to shop around. Almost no one uses them anymore since unless you remove the distributor there is no reason to check it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
scouttster
Top Notch Member

Post by scouttster »

Thanks for the insight Petros.
I emailed the lady and offered to ship it back to her.. She told me throw it away..
I googled Cal / Hawk and cant find anything on this company or this light. I did find a few people selling similiar ones on EBAY...
I cant find any replacement bulbs. I wonder if any old 12 volt incandescent small bulb would work? Maybe try to jury rig something before tossing it...
Thanks
Terkey Hatchback
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

That is are really old timing light, I would say it would really rare if it works
-HEY! I resemble that remark! :wink: I've only owned one inductive light in my life, and it crapped out after one year. I still use the old style (OK its because It still works and I'm CHEAP!! :D ) and it works just fine after 25 years. Sure, I'd love to have an inductive light with a set back dial, but until I find one that's economical and durable, I'll stick with the old style. 8)
PS I still have a couple of dwell meters that work too! How many people still use those? :roll:
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I used to have one of those, back in the 60's. They are pretty much not repairable, I tried to fix mine when it broke but could not get a bulb.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

My neighbor gave me a new one that looks just like that....works just fine. The old one I still have was unpowered...but it still works...just doesn't put out a lot of light....probably 40 yrs old.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...