vice grip tool

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

vice grip tool

Post by toughtercel »

"VICE GRIP" these tool are great to break loose on brake line , once loosen then use normal tool 10mm or 3/8 for finish the job, if you try on normal or special brake line tool , it cause round the nut when they are tight .
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Vise-Grip tool

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I would be hesitant to use a Vise-Grip on a brake line fastener; they are kinda soft and could easily deform themselves or the line, either of which would be a bear to replace. Now in a last-case scenario...
Flare wrenches are the way to go. I always clean around the line/fastener juncture and then use a Dremel wire brush on that juncture and the exposed threads of the fastener before a smidge of a penetrant.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Re: vice grip tool

Post by toughtercel »

opps sorry you're right, i meant brake line's fastener where screw into wheel cylinder or brake caliper , at lease spray wd-40 or rust penatration first and let it sit for 24 hours allow detergent it self then "flare tool" look like open box end wrench but have extra two side in wrench(4 side instead of two side ) if too tight to loose it then flare tool will tend to spead open but stop or you'll round the edge then last thing to do is "vice-grip" tool to break loose before tend to torch heat the fastener but never heat it because brake line are seal , causeing brake fluid to boil in the line, if loose the fastener it will explode the fluid in your face .i hope i explain good details, whew ! P.S. i have done brake job hundred times at big company who own 15,000 vehicles for 15 year now no more thanks
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Re: vice grip tool

Post by toughtercel »

last night ,I swap brake master cylinder and brake booster from old car to newer old car , there are 5-6 brake fitting to loosen each car , that 10-12 both cars , spray stuff twice and few days later only 4 brake fitting(fastener) can loosen by using brake line tool then use " hand adjustable vice grip" got them all loosen with in second .