CV Joint Boot Installation Tool

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

CV Joint Boot Installation Tool

Post by takza »

Has anyone used one of these? Do they work with regular replacement boots or do you need to buy a special flexible type?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=66529
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: CV Joint Boot Installation Tool

Post by splatterdog »

Seen a similar tool years ago and it did require special "universal" boots and plenty of lube. While better than a split boot I was very unimpressed. I could properly reboot most cars in about a half hour on the car. Some, like the terc had to be serviced from the inner requiring a shaft removal. Also there is no better way to repack a typical cv joint without pushing the grease in the center hole.

Not very many cars had the odd outer joint like our terc's. The only other car that I can think of that could use this is 80's mazda's that had a tendency to not come apart no matter what. The smaller size of the outer joints on our cars would make it a little easier. Otherwise it's like trying to use a finger cot for a condom. :oops:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: CV Joint Boot Installation Tool

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Time was when I would laugh at your last sentence...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain