Duck Duct Tape's Defiant Dilemma

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Duck Duct Tape's Defiant Dilemma

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This isn't exactly a tool - but it is an aid.
As many of us are wont to do, I've always kept a roll of duct tape in the onboard toolbox. I tired of the adhesive adhering to tools, particularly during Summer's attack. I've tried baggies. etc. All were fairly useless.
Then... :idea:
I cleaned out one of the dried-up paste wax canisters and the full roll fits perfectly and snugly! Eureka!

I also just discovered the tape is now available in a transparent type!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Duck Duct Tape's Defiant Dilemma

Post by takza »

I've used some of the clear (light blue) plastic duct tape...the plastic is an improvement on the cloth.

Also there is 100 mph tape that they use to patch holes in planes. Costs more...not sure if you are getting the real stuff?

Also I have some nylon cloth tape...poor adhesive...I guess used to camouflage guns?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I've been using the "gorilla" brand for a while now. Very heavy duty. Even the large patch I made on a lebaron convertible top lasted over 2 years until the trans crapped out.
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

splatterdog wrote:I've been using the "gorilla" brand for a while now. Very heavy duty. Even the large patch I made on a lebaron convertible top lasted over 2 years until the trans crapped out.
Two summers ago I used Gorilla brand tape to temporarily patch the left rear fender well/tool box area after the front corner of it rusted through. I intended to patch it with the tape, then go back later and fix it permanently with bondo.
I cleaned out the interior of the tool/jack storage bin, sanded it lightly, and degreased it. I used some hardware cloth and made a contoured box to closely fit inside the area; and taped it in place with gorilla tape. I removed the mudflap, cleaned and degreased the exterior, and artfully applied several overlapping layers of black Gorilla tape to cover the rust hole. (The hole opened to the fenderwell and the bottom of the compartment.) After patching I reinstalled the mudflap.
Holy crap, I never have done any additional repair, the car has survived two winters since then, and the tape is not only intact and looking as new, but the jack compartment is as watertight as ever.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."