Essential Tercel tools

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Essential Tercel tools

Post by brianp »

I thought it might be interesting to know what sort of tools you all consider essential to have, the tools that you can do most of what you would ever need to do working on these cars. :)

Here's stuff I use practically every time:
  • Metric Sockets
  • Screwdrivers
  • mechanic's gloves (I just got these recently, and have been hitting myself for not getting them sooner! No more dirty, scratched up hands! ;)
  • Maglight
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

A 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 16mm, 17mm, and 24mm I think (for the tranny) should be pretty much everything you need. WAIT! There are some 19mm's.... 13/16 for the sparkers and the lugs....

Compression tester is sweet to have.

OHMETER! GO BUY A DIGITAL VOHM!

A soldering iron. Definitely.

Some good scissors and end nippers. Dykes as well.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ESI-RStarion
Top Notch Member

Post by ESI-RStarion »

This is what I usually pack when I go to a junkyard

Screwdrivers
-Phillips (small, medium, and large size)
-Flathead (small, medium, and large size)

Ratchets
-Stubby and Regular size
-Breaker Bar

Extensions(not sure if these 2 are right, they are the average extensions you get with a craftsman socket set)
-4"
-8"

Sockets
-1/2-3/8's adapter (For breaker bar)
-10mm
-12mm
-14mm
-17mm
-19mm
-30mm (CV nuts)
-13/16

Wrenches(2 of each)
-10mm
-12mm
-14mm
-17mm
-19mm

Misc
-Hammer
-Prybar
-Dikes
-Vise grips
-3 Sets of nitrile gloves(from harbor freight :wink: )
-About 6 rags(also from harbor frieght, I think its 50 or 100 for 10bucks)
-Pliers
-Needle nosed pliers
-Utility Knife

Things that stay at home
-Timing Light(dur)
-Vac gauge
-Compression tester
-Volt Meter(my brothers really nice like $300 one)
-Engine Stand
-Engine Lift(Another harbor freight special)
-C-Style Press(from harbor freight)
-10ton Porta-Power(also from harbor freight used it to straighten my frame on my first terc after I put it into a curb at around 25mph)
-Clip ring plier set (also from harbor freight, used in tranny work)
-Lots of Nitrile Gloves
-Lots of Rags

I'll add more as I think of them or the next time I work on my terc :wink:
83 T4WD SR5 - In tercel heaven
84 T4WD SR5 - (Rolled) joined the 83
83 T4WD DLX - Daily Driver weber 32/36, Celica/Paseo front brakes, 205/75/14 Snow tires, Lifted, 2.5inch exhaust, "Rebuilt" 3ac.
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

If you are considering extensive work on the suspension or brakes, i recommend a set of jackstands.

i love floor jacks, much easier and safer than the scissors jack the tercels originally came with.

typical tools (basic maintence):

metric sockets and wrenches
philips and flathead screwdrivers
funnel (for oil and atf)
WD-40 or PB blaster

Less used tools:

Rivet gun (i used it when rebuilding the carb)
steering wheel remover
4 TON ELECTRIC CRANE! (lol)

EDIT:
Actually posted by thebigbread...
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Basic tools

Post by kamiphloj »

I have a pretty well equipt shop,from compressor and air tools to cherry picker,press,etc

Thinking minimalist I usually begin with the most important tool,the shop manual.

From there,I have a good idea what I will need for the job.If ,for example,I don't have a pittman arm puller or equivelant to separate tie rod ends,then I go buy one as I'm ordering parts.

Trying too buy all the tools in advance is hard.

If a person has in his car a 10mm/12mm offset double ended box wrench,a 10mm and a 12mm combination wrench and a 4way screwdriver,large,small,slotted and philips,you can do a lot.Soon you will need a similar pair of wrenches in 14mm.
A person can get probably 70% of a Terc apart and together with these

The other set I use nearly every Terc job is my 1/4 drive set.
It has sockets to 14mm,and not much on a Terc needs much torque.
get a 10,12 and 14 swivel socket of a good brand.Get a couple of extra long extensions.My Proto set has a nut driver handle you can snap a ratchet into.
These get right on the carb nuts,and if you stack extensions you can reach 20 inches through places you can't get your hands

Pawn shop a micrometer 3/8 torque wrench.Use it.
I like LED light.A little LED flashlight is good.

A hemostat and one of those big long handled bent needlenose pliers will get used a lot.That nut you dropped that went....

Speaking of which,if you must shade tree outside,spread a tarp under your work area.Looking through the grass or sand for that lock washer often does not work.

Jackstands,etc are not stable on dirt.Be safe.

If a project is large,a box of ziplocks,lables,masking tape etc allow you to bag "radiator holdown bolts,brackets" and label them.(Is that a tool?)

Ever spoon a big gob of grease into a ziplock and drop in a wheel bearing?
You can sqeeze the grease through the bearing and get a good pack.
Ever notice how clean your palm is after a hand pack? where did the dirt go?
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

* I have one of those claw tipped pick 'er uppers with the button on the handle end and a couple of telescoping magnetic ones...always chasing stuff

* I use ziplock sandwich bags and a marker to label them.

* That bearing in a ziplock is a GOOD IDEA...now if I can remember to use it....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Basic tools

Post by ARCHINSTL »

kamiphloj wrote:...must shade tree outside,spread a tarp under your work area.

Jackstands,etc are not stable on dirt.Be safe.
I use a flattened bicycle box; softer on a gravel/rock driveway (note-not better than a tarp - just softer and more absorbent - the latter feature a good idea to keep concrete driveways more pristine) - these should be free at your local bicycle store.

I cut 15" squares from 3/4" plywood as a base for the jackstands - they also serve as a handy temporary "shelf" for nutznthings. These additionally prevent the stands from sinking into the driveway when it rains...

I also recommend some Q-tips in a baggie; handy for all kinds of purposes.

A tool for tightening Zip ties: A "4th hand" tool from a bicycle store (used for pulling cables really tight). Cheaper and better than the similar tool from HD or Lowes, etc.

SAFETY GLASSES - SAFETY GLASSES - SAFETY GLASSES
I just got some inexpensive ones from HD ($4 +/-) - they work well, with a protective ridge on the top and sides - and - they work well over regular glasses as well as - for those over a certain age among us - bifocals/reading glasses...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ESI-RStarion
Top Notch Member

Re: Basic tools

Post by ESI-RStarion »

ARCHINSTL wrote: for those over a certain age among us - bifocals/reading glasses...
Tom M.
I'm 17 and I utilize a pair of bifocals... 8)
83 T4WD SR5 - In tercel heaven
84 T4WD SR5 - (Rolled) joined the 83
83 T4WD DLX - Daily Driver weber 32/36, Celica/Paseo front brakes, 205/75/14 Snow tires, Lifted, 2.5inch exhaust, "Rebuilt" 3ac.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Gotta agree with Archinstl about a cardboard box. I try to keep any triwall cartons or cardboard I come across, lot more comfortable than a tarp. Cheaper too.

I find the 6 in 1 screwdriver very handy along with a 12v pump and a tire repair kit for the road.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

keith wrote:Gotta agree with Archinstl about a cardboard box. I try to keep any triwall cartons or cardboard I come across, lot more comfortable than a tarp. Cheaper too.

I find the 6 in 1 screwdriver very handy along with a 12v pump and a tire repair kit for the road.
I use old sections of carpeting...can be folded and reused. Love those neon handled screwdrivers.

Once I fixed a nail hole without removing the wheel...darn I'm good.... :D Keep forgetting to put most rubber cement in the hole and not so much on the plug.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Keep forgetting to put most rubber cement in the hole and not so much on the plug.
Rubber cement?
CT9A

Post by CT9A »

keith wrote:
Keep forgetting to put most rubber cement in the hole and not so much on the plug.
Rubber cement?
Rubber cement works great around a tire plug to completely seal it. Most plug kits come with a tube of cement.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Most plug kits come with a tube of cement.
Not the kits I buy.
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

1 Oxy Acetylene torch
2 Grearwrenches of some sort. I prefer the reversible ones, I have the MAC/Blackhawk version. main difference is that the box end is passthrough so you can use it either side up the cheaper gearwrench brand is capped so it will only fit the bolt face up. also get the complete set of 12 rather than the 7 or 8 piece sets... well worth the extra $$
3 Cordless impact wrench... just makes everything go so much faster...
4 magnetic quick change sockets for #3
5... I also like the Gearatchet sets...
7 metric flare nut wrenches (line wrench)
8 test light.
9 pocket screwdriver.. the kind tool trucks give away.
Being a Pro, I can tell you that most techs use 10% of their tools 90% of the time and the other 90% of their tools 10% of the time. Its that other 90% of tools that make impossible jobs possible as well as time and cost effective...
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Spark plug thread chaser or tap

Post by kamiphloj »

Folks
A couple of weeks ago I was changing plugs and #2 just didn't want to go in finger tight.
I put just a few oz inches of torque on it and I didn't like it.
So,I said "Whoa!"
Went to Napa and got a 14mm thread cleaning/restoring tap,lubed it,and carefully started it straight in the plug hole.One of these or a true 14mm tap is a good thing to have around.
BTW,before I replaced the plug,I cranked the motor.It took off and ran on 3 for a couple of seconds.I figure it blew out any chips!!
Bob
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker