Do you use a load balancer when pulling engine?

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
tercle
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Do you use a load balancer when pulling engine?

Post by tercle »

I am prepping an engine swap and I was planning on renting a load balancer to adjust the engine angle.
But since a line between the engine hooks isn't parallel with the crankshaft, adjusting a load balancer is also going to shift the engine left or right.
Does it work anyway?

What is the best way to hook up a cherry picker to these engines?

Any tips are appreciated.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Do you use a load balancer when pulling engine?

Post by splatterdog »

A simple chain from hook to hook will suffice. Just find the balance point in the middle, then mark the chain so it's in the same spot going back in.

Balancers can help, or get in the way. They also increase how far up you have to go. These engines are very light so manual tilting is pretty easy.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Do you use a load balancer when pulling engine?

Post by Petros »

never needed a balance bar, have pulled engines on these cars too many times to count. I have used chains, but my favorite is a sturdy adjustable webbing strap (the cargo type with a hook at each end). it is easy to grab and pull on it, or slide the webbing through the lift hook to change the angle of the engine. make sure you use a 700 lb or better rated cargo strap, some of the cheap ones are only good for 250 lbs, which would lift the engine but it is not a quality item to trust to holding an engine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)