Thermal imager!

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Thermal imager!

Post by splatterdog »

Got a new "toy" in my arsenal! Prices have come way down, and I found a real good deal on ebay for $319. Would have liked the Pro model, but it was almost double. http://www.thermal.com/products/revealxr-fastframe/.

Just got it, so I haven't had a chance to diagnose anything yet. I have watched myself urinate. It's quite a thermal event, going to the bathroom..

Lots of established tests for cars already and probably many more to figure out. No more volt drop testing battery cables as long as you can see them or more importantly, the connections. High resistance=high heat. Can also see what's "hot" for those parasitic draws that kill batteries. Heated seats, mirrors, steering wheels, defrost grids. Dead ignition coils, misfiring cylinders, clogged rads or exhaust, body air leaks, brake drag, failing bearings, and more!

Going Predator on heat loss thru the house tonight!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Thermal imager!

Post by helipilot77 »

I recently got the Milwaukee version. I have only played with it a little.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

nice tool, a bit pricey for the home mechanic, but I am sure you can put it to good use. Not only will it help you save time to fix customers cars, you can do a quick scan with each of your customer's cars to find additional "fixes" to sell them. It should pay for it self in no time.

lets see some pictures!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Use on cars is only a recent development Petros. If you heat or cool your home, it could pay for itself quickly.

While not feature packed like a Flir or Snap On that are around a G, it does sport some much better resolution and refresh rate specs

Just after 2:00 this guy shoots his hand. No fingernails can be seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJTTgbI9HM&t=224s

With the seek, I can see my veins.
hot hand
hot hand
IMGT0002.PNG (223.86 KiB) Viewed 11653 times
Seek(and Flir) also have a little bit cheaper imager that plugs in to a smart phone.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have actually used the more costly video camera type when I did testing when I worked for others, the university where I went to engineering school (grad 1982) had one that looked like a timing light but would give you a digital temperature reading of what ever you pointed it at, and was very costly even back than.

it does not surprise me the full image type has come down in price, using with a smart phone is genius to keep the price down. someday our phones may even have those built into them.

No end to the many uses they can be used. finding leaks, fixing cars, searching for lost children in the forest. Woman can even use them to do self cancer thermal scans (which are safer and more reliable to detect early signs of cancer than the almost worthless mammograms).
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

One really nice thing about the smart phone imager is that you can get in to tight spots with a usb extension cable. That could be a big plus with dash work. The Reveal is perfect for me for work and play. Late at night up at camp there can be some very wild/angry sounds not too far away. We think one is a pine marten. Spotting the flying squirrels will be much easier now. One late night racket would have been cool to find and see. Not my video, but I pretty much heard this word for word in the dark this last fall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ioHWj-ZcI
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I got mine in preparation for the new house I will soon be building. I want to capture overy calorie of heat I can. Seeing any trouble spots in the wall assembly before I close it up will really be a big help. The camera will quickly pay for itself in saved energy.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Nice. I love the M12 line up. I will have to take a view of my heated hoodie!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

SD, did you try your new tool on your house? i'm curious where you found the biggest heat losses.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Yes dlb! I found that the exposed blocks at the top of the foundation were letting a fair amount of heat out. In this pic you can also see wall studs, siding overlap, and an upstairs heat duct above and left of the window.
IMGT0104.PNG
IMGT0104.PNG (223.86 KiB) Viewed 11550 times

It was kind of creepy seeing all the recent animal tracks in the dark at camp this last weekend. They were everywhere!
IMGT0083.PNG
IMGT0083.PNG (223.86 KiB) Viewed 11550 times
I was glad to see that all the insulation in my camper is paying off. It's like a ten day cooler now. Didn't find one thing that needed attention and roof melt while being heated has been eliminated! I've done a tent at -40f, never again..

Ice fishing..
Attachments
IMGT0069.PNG
IMGT0069.PNG (223.86 KiB) Viewed 11550 times
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I remember someone telling me they like to go camping in the desert in eastern washington, where they drive ORV, shoot guns, have "guy" fun, etc.

someone once brought some surplus night googles for fun, and they spend some time looking at the desert outside their circle of fire light. They were surprised to find out how many creatures were circling their camp just outside the visible light, they did not sleep well that night.