Parts Washers

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Parts Washers

Post by JackWagon »

I've subscribed to threads on garagejournal and the like in preparation for building a detached garage & shop. Space will be tight due to city ordinances. A parts washer station is definitely on the list.
I'd be interested in seeing what you use as a parts washer, pictures would be even better. Many find the $50 Harbor Freight model works fine and I would've gone that route too if I didn't already have a metal cart with casters, a utility sink with a small hole in the side, lots of plumbing leftovers, and a remote oil filter mounting bracket. Amazon delivered my pump today and I'll have time this weekend to wire up a switch. I also found a flow thru brush online.
This one is my favorite: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45077.0

Here is a clip that got me thinking I already had most of what I needed to build the washer.
http://youtu.be/vNqsQ-jxvHA
Have you built your own or made mods to a HF/Eastwood?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Parts Washers

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is cool - thanks for posting!
My parts washer is the one we used in the bicycle shop many years ago. Unfortunately, its motor died years ago, so my parts "washer' is now, in essence, just a tank. It is a shop table top unit - but I could adapt it to what you posted.
What is the link to the pump you posted on Amazon? Maybe I could adapt it.
The filter is a great idea - wish we'd thought of it years ago; it would have saved many dollars.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Post by JackWagon »

The link to dotheton.com is a motorcycle forum. It's an example of someone who went all out on their build: reinforced the legs, filter, added shelf, all black paint. I don't think I will go that far.
I bought a 40 gal solvent pump from Black Bull via Amazon PWP40
Attachments
Not mine, dotheton.com
Not mine, dotheton.com
image.jpg
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks for the link; I will investigate further to see if it will work on my washer!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
simon guey
My tercel:: 85sr5

Post by simon guey »

at work we have a large steel parts washer it uses oil based solvent so it wont rust out.
water based solvent best with stainless or plastic.
we also have a ultrasonic what is real cool is you can put part in a plastic bag with
brand new solvents seal the bag then throw it in come back after a while and with out scrubbing
supper clean part and only contaminated a small amount of solvent.

at my work we resale a few things we find best in class and this is the best brush ive ever used

its so weird that parts brush bristles are usualy so wimpy.
simon guey
My tercel:: 85sr5

Post by simon guey »

Tom
i have cleaned many bicycle drive trains with the parts brush above
with this brush its twice as fast as the bristles are like needles you can stab into cassettes and freewheels
and in space between chain wheels i know you know about the gunk that builds up specially with the
"I oil before every ride till its driping " guys
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ simon guey -
I loved your ""I oil before every ride till its dripping " guys!'" plaint!
Did they ever listen? Heck NO!
I only did wrenching for a living - what did I know?

After 30 years, I closed the shop in '03; wish this brush was around before then. Have to check it out now. Thanks!
$22 on Amazon. Hmmm - bday is coming up - have to casually pass on the link to daughter...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain