My new baby!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

ImageImage

I just picked her up this morning! She's a Gold 83 SR5 manual with 172K mi. She needs a little work, but the body and interior are both in great shape. She has a small oil leak (seems to be valve cover gasket) but still runs well and doesn't blow smoke. I even had her up to 75mph on a level piece of hwy (with a 10mph cross wind) on the ride home, and let me tell you, she had plenty left......heh heh heh!

I'm so proud!

She was bought new by the owner's parents, passed to her, and then sold to me. I even have the actual title and owners manuals! She came with 4 new tires mounted & balanced on wheels, and 2 unmounted studded tires, and the ski rack, for $600!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Very nice!!! Congrats!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Well, today she got a new distributor cap and rotor (old rotor was burnt,) new plugs (NGK's) and wires, new oil (Valvolive MaxLife) and filter, new air filter, new preheater hose, vacuumed out, washed, and had her tire pressure equaled out at 32psi. It's amazing how well she starts and idles; no hesitations, no skips. Timing belt looks very new. Looks like more than 1 oil leak though. Looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking too. Anyone have any recomendations (pro's or con's) about using some of that engine honey oil stop leak stuff? Anyone ever change out the oil pan gasket?
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

coltarms wrote: Looks like more than 1 oil leak though. Looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking too. Anyone have any recomendations (pro's or con's) about using some of that engine honey oil stop leak stuff? Anyone ever change out the oil pan gasket?
Sounds like you found a great deal. :)

I wouldn't use the "Engine Honey" or any of those additives. All they really do is make the oil thicker. Just use thicker oil if you think it will help. Max Life already has additives to help seals last longer. Changing the pan gasket isn't too hard, just time consuming. I don't think you can do it without pulling the engine.
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

hey i would get under the car and look to see were the oil is coming from first. dont put any additives in the oil.
check to see if its the oil pan and if it is then i would check each bolt to make sure they are all tight. i had a leak on my valve cover and i just tightened the bolts and i was in buisness. if this doesnt not work then i would inquire about a gasket.
hey nice car i want your ski rack.
what kind of tires? brand size etc???
x
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You got a GOOD deal there. Yea...just snug the pan and valve cover bolts some....but don't overtighten them....bad news if you do.

There's a writeup in the repair section on doing the valve cover gasket....if tightening them doesn't work.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

congratulations !! :D :D
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Sometimes the oil-sending unit(Eng-Block,driver side)leaks and if so,its inexpencive and easy to replace.Hope you enjoy your new car! :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Wow I'm scared! This seems a lot like what is happening to me! A very generous friend of my mother's is giving me a 4wd Tercel that she has owned since new. My mom says it is gold colored, and has a small oil leak which requires her to put oil in once a month. It comes with owners manuals and four new tires as well. She has inherited some money and is buying a new car, which is why she is giving this one to me. (Mods, I will post an official introduction as soon as I get the car and learn about it some more.)
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you find one of these rust free Tercels that has been driven by fairly easy and not bashed thru the bush...you've got something...might last forever...or until you get tired of it.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dar

Post by dar »

man sounds like the deal i got w/my 4x4 tercel (600 bucks )242000 mi.
never been bushed wacked , valve cover gasket was replaced and a total
tune up was required to pass smog for Ca. driving looks great !!!! :lol:
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Congratulations, what a deal, I'm jealous. As for the oil leak, I doubt its the oil pan gasket. The crank and cam front gaskets are notorious for leaking, neither are hard to replace, but the timing belt will have to come off. Until they leak real bad, I'd just add oil.