Cargo Capacity

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Cargo Capacity

Post by irowiki »

I searched first and probably didn't search right. How much weight can you safely put in the back of one of our wagons without straining it, for reference?

Like say, a spare 3A engine and tercel transmission, would that be fine weight wise?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Cargo Capacity

Post by teranfirbt »

I don't see any problem with that, but it depends on how much else is in the car. If it's just you and a buddy then it should be fine. On my way down here to Texas I had mine packed to the brim with a co driver and probably 400 lbs in the hatch (full tool box came with me...).
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I drove 400 miles one way with two Tercel 4WD transmissions and 1 passenger. The max cargo capacity is per the 1983 owner's manual 775 lbs (occupants + luggage).
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

A trans and engine are about as much weight as two heavy passengers, it should handle that fine. You will not do any structural damage to the car, it will take a lot more abuse than one would ever think possible. And of course you will not be accelerating real fast with only 62 hp on tap, but that is not so much a safety issue as much as nuisance.

The real problem is the brakes are kind of light and long hard stops when it is heavily loaded will likely result in warped front rotors (it is easy enough to do that when not fully loaded). So you just have to modulate your brake usage to keep them from getting too hot.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Interesting, only 775 pounds? My 81 Sedan is listed at 800 or so pounds, people + luggage!

I don't have an engine or tranny to pick up right now, but someday I might, so thanks for the feedback everybody!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by TominMO »

Weight ratings tend to be conservative. I had a Subaru Loyale 1.8L 4WD wagon that I hauled a loaded trailer from OR to DC, over the Rockies even. About 1000 lbs in the car and 2000 lbs worth of trailer. No problems--although I was in first gear near Vail, CO, summiting the Rockies!
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

just plan your route to avoid as many mountain passes as you can. if you must take a pass, watch your temp as you go up it and put your hazards on and slow down if necessary. do not ride your brakes on the way down the other side.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Do not rear-end anyone! OUCH!
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.