AL 21, 25????

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

I'm curious as to what this code is for? I thought they were just SR5's. If you can help me with models etc for these SR5's and where this AL code is located on the actual car.
Thanks
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

AL21 is the 2wd Tercel platform. This includes hatchbacks from 1983-86, and wagons from 1983-88. AL25 is the Tercel 4wd platform from 1983-88. SR5 is the high end trim level. There were also base and deluxe Tercels in the same body style.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Further to what cbolt said, those alphanumeric designations are used throughout all Toyota's vehicles as Chassis Codes.

Here is a great link if you would like to learn more about Toyota ID numbers:

<a href='http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... wcodes.htm' target='_blank'>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... des.htm</a>

Other manufacturers use chassis codes too. Car enthusiasts (among imports anyhow) often refer to cars by their chassis code instead of name. It's a lot easier to identify exact model years etc.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

while we are on the subject of possible differences between tercels..anyone know if their was anything unique about the "Leather-neck" edition? It says that on both sides of of the car on the support pillar between the rear doors and the side cargo area windows. judging by how worn and faded it is I would say it was on the car when it was new...my car has woody wagon siding, and I have never seen that on any other tercel wagon in my entire life. any thoughts?
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

It sounds like a dealer package. I remember a Toyota dealership back in the mid-80s that created some really hideous packages for the cars it sold, including the "Toyo-Wagon" package for the van. It included graphics for the sides, and added over a grand to the price. I wouldn't have taken one if it subtracted a grand.

BTW, there's a Chevrolet dealership here that sold a bunch of pickups back in the 80s with the "Stingray" package. Basically, they raided the parts bins, adding Stingray script to the sides, along with 80-81 Camaro Z-28 fender vents, crossed flag emblems, and hood scoops. I've had more than one owner try to tell me they were factory built, and extremely valuable.
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

haha...that's hilarious! I figured there was nothing different...but one never knows. sounds likely that that's what it was. i can tell the siding was made for my car specifically....why anyone would have bought it like this new I don't have a clue...maybe they wanted to reminisce about the good ol' days. All I do know is that the car was originally bought in Florida (I am in Oregon) by some biology professor at Florida State....I should try to contact him ask him "wtf were you thinking!?"
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I believe all SR5 Tercel VIN numbers including hatchbacks start with JT2AL35 and the DLX hatchbacks and wagons are JT2AL32. Am I right?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Finder349
Advanced Member

Post by Finder349 »

We need a picture of that woody wagon.

Calvin
86 SR5 238k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
85 SR5 232k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
87 Toyota LE 4wd Van 184k :)
87 Toyota 4wd Van 236k :)
Yes I run with scissors.