3A vs 3A-C Engine

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, my '86 SR5 is supposed to have a 3A-C, per the firewall plate and specs. However, about 5 years and 800 miles ago (yes-the mileage is correct-it was only driven 800 miles from then until I bought it in April), the head was replaced with a used one due to cracking from a failed water pump.
The replacement head was cleaned and milled (so the repair invoice stated) and checked for cracks, and new gasket installed as well.
My question: The sticker on the side of the cam cover states "3A", and the factory yellow and black sticker at the back of the cover states "3A-8 73WMF", and also "570 13" The "8" is kind of a guess, as it is somewhat marred. It would stand to reason that the mech in Murfreesboro replaced the head and cover intact, I guess?
Maybe I've missed it, but what are the differences between the 3A and the 3AC? Anything significant? Anything I need to make allowances for?
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

All 6 of my Tercels have said 3AC on the emissions decal, and 3A on the valve cover. I know for a fact the head has never been off my current 86. In fact, the only one I've seen lately with a different valve cover sticker was one I found in a junkyard with a 3A-SCV. It also had the "wavy" valve cover.