Installing the MA700 airshocks......

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Installing the MA700 airshocks......

Post by takza »

I bought the MA700 Monroe air shocks (the part you ask for) at RockAuto for around $71 with shipping. At RockAuto you need to use MA700 to search for them.

here is what you get.....

* right click > click "view image"...or paste URL in address bar and hit ENTER

removing the old shocks.....

* jack the car up at the diff and use some stands under the front link supports (in front of the rear axle).

* leave the jack under the differential...since the shocks keep it located and you don't want to drop it too much. But you do drop the diff far enough to fully extend the shocks.

* using a screwdriver....pry the plastic caps that are over the top of the shocks.... UP at the INSIDE edge (middle of car)...careful these are brittle plastic.

* you will probably find 2 nuts on the end of the shocks...might have to use a very small open end wrench or ? to keep the shock from turning as these are taken off. Best to do the tops first.

* then you can remove the bottom bolts...might need some torque here.

* you will then need to pry the lower ends off the stud...this is rubber on steel...so they stick. DON'T mess up your brakelines!

installing the new ones....

* first you will need to extend the shocks to thier full length....takes some muscle.

* for the bottom attachment...you use the same stud and bolt as before

* for the top...they only provide one nut...which is supposed to be snugged until it stops turning & locks. I added an extra nut to each shock to lock the first one.

* be sure the rubber insulators face the right way...the small raised area fits the hole in the body...also the washers face one way.

* for the bottom stud...I used some grease on the stud AND some on the bolt...a rust area here.

installing the air lines.....

* there is only one way the shocks will fit...and that is with the air outlet facing out towards the tire.

(as was mentioned before...this is probably why they are not sold for use with the Tercel 4WD...a good hit with a stone or branch MIGHT crack the plastic cover over the metal fitting...and there goes the air pressure...but this might never happen also.)

* I used some silicone tubing to cover the nylon lines until they get out of the wheel area and also taped them as close to the top of the shock as possible to avoid having them caught by sticks/stones/ice etc.

* when inserting the nylon tubes...you have to be sure they are fully into the fitting...they WILL hang up. The o-rings are very small and easy to loose.

* I snugged these as tight as I could by hand. I removed them a few times and saw no evidence of the tube collapsing.

(After the car sat for a week or so...when the nylon line was removed it was collapsed to some extent...but not enough to keep it from inflating.)

* I ran these more or less along and to some extent over the top of the gas tank...meeting at the gas tank strap that is centered at the back. Then using a couple of cable wraps (plastic) to tie them to this strap.

Couldn't see much of any place to drill a hole....but didn't look too hard.

* mostly just need to keep them up out of harms way...espec around the tires and at the back bumper where they might hit the ground offroad. Also avoid the exhaust.

the installed shocks....

results.....

I put 33 lbs of air in them (they need a minmum of 20 lbs) and had the back sitting pretty high...though I do have boosters in the rear springs. Will probably drop them to 20 lbs when the wagon isn't loaded.

cautions.....

* one of the rubber bladders had some cuts in it that looked to be about 1/2 way thru the material...there was a place on the lower part of the shock where the metal was nicked and this probably caused the cuts. I filed this place down. They hold air now...but who knows?

* now in the process of ordering another pair of MA700s...printing out a prepaid return shipping label...to get credit for the first pair of shocks.

* would recommend that anyone buying these check the lower half of each shock for sharp "nicks" and also check the condition of the rubber BEFORE starting the job....you need to extend the shocks full length...very difficult to do without using some air pressure.

* the bladders have a rough surface...just need to look for cuts or blemishes.

Real-world offroad test results:

After starting out with the MA700 shocks on the back on a 4K mile camping and offroad trip...I can't recommend these shocks for serious offroading.

* the nylon air tube ruptured where it enters the right rear shock 3 days after starting the trip....thinking this was a one-time thing...I cut the end of the tube clean and reinserted it...and aired them up to 25-30 PSI.

* about 3 days after this they lost air again...this time the plastic "nut" that holds the nylon line was seriously worn on the end from rubbing on the tire...so it wasn't useable again.

* I bought a couple of "rubber doughnuts" to add some boost due to the loss of air pressure...and found that unlike with the OEM shocks, it was very easy to get them in the coils and had to wire them in there to keep them in.

* Seems the MA700s have a greater extended length than the OEM shocks...this allows the 4 tires to stay on the ground a lot better on rough ground...and there isn't any chance the rear spring will come out. There will be extra stress on the rear linkage though.

* So....IMO a regular shock with a similar extended length would be a good replacement for the OEM shock....the MA700s are OK for street and occasional offroad use...not the serious stuff though.
Last edited by takza on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

how do you fill the shox, wll they work on sport springs
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You run the 2 nylon air lines to a valve like you have on a tire...you fill them from there. Have mine on the center gas tank strap.

Even with boosters on the rear springs...my car sits lower than original height.

There is a .pdf file on the Monroe site where you can get the exact specs on the MA700 shocks...look for closed length?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Good article Takza! Thanks!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

my car is 2.5 inches lower than stock that is why i asked, and i allways had trouble with the rear shocks, i can´t find strong enough shocks si o guess if i put more pressure in them they will become more stiff
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

can you remove the springs if you got the air shocks? i know some air systems work without springs.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Nope, they're only designed to boost the springs.
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

Wow, that thing sure is rusty and crusty underneath. Do they salt the roads where you live? Here in California, rust isnt even a problem. The only problems we have here are strict smog laws (because of the EPA and C.A.R.B. (also known as the polution police, and smog nazis)), and closure of public lands (places to 4 wheel).
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

ghettomobile wrote: Wow, that thing sure is rusty and crusty underneath. Do they salt the roads where you live? Here in California, rust isnt even a problem. The only problems we have here are strict smog laws (because of the EPA and C.A.R.B. (also known as the polution police, and smog nazis)), and closure of public lands (places to 4 wheel).
That's nothing, look at my '84 Civic's floor:
<a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... yfloor.jpg' target='_blank'>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... oor.jpg</a>
Rust killed that car. :(
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

Wow, that civics floor is completely rusted through. It would be a bit odd driving a car that you could see the road through the holes in the rusted out floor. It would also be a bit wierd (and scary) if you put your foot down on the floor of the car and your foot goes through it because it is so rusted out. My mom said she had a Datsun pickup for her first car, and it was missing the rubber shift boot. She said that the road was visible through the hole in the floor that the shifter came through.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I had the carpet in place while driving, it was a little less scary that way.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Thanks for the Great article Takza...once again. B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

ghettomobile wrote:
Wow, that thing sure is rusty and crusty underneath. Do they salt the roads where you live? Here in California, rust isnt even a problem.
You'd really like the rust-belt......all the snow and salt are A LOT OF FUN. :D

ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

Cool. What I would do is get the underbody coated so I could have fun and it wouldn't rust. There are 2 things I despize, and they are sand(it ruins anything mechanical) and rust.
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

M A 700 question

Post by kamiphloj »

Thank you for the effort to to solve this.I did not get the photo files open but I looked at the car pretty close.Havng the Fittings outboard does seem to create an unacceptable condition.Mud gobbing Kansas clay backroads while pheasant hunting or the sort of icecake one gets driving on the ice of Canyon Ferry Reservoir in Montana might cause failure. The there are tire chain considerations.
Is it your opinion that one could mount the air fitting inboard with the stroke of a holesaw? Perhaps 3/4 inch? Then the fitting would project to the interior,if memory serves right.What sort of thread is there in the shock for the fitting?Perhaps a Shraeder {tire type} valve from a fuel injection log or some other application could be applied directly with no lines.Please ponder a bit,and consider the merits of the entire air shock pkg.Also considerWhat is the effective air cylinder dia of the shock? Pi r squared = area timesair pressure = lift .If you had 5 sq in,70 psi would be 350 lbs.
The Australian springs mentioned in the other lift thread have a downloadable catalogue and I found an application designated for the additional weight of an LPG conversion.Provides 1 or 2 in lift over stock ride.No prices,but someone else said 150 dollars or so.
I'm not cheap,I'm low income.70 dollars to solve the problem would be OK,but wasting 70 dollars makes the 150 dollar fix cost 220 dollars.
Thoughts? I sometimes hang a 5 gal jeepcan of fuel on the back.My weeeeny stock springs don't mke it. kamiphloj