Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Re: Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by larry mcgrath »

Flywheel machined down with 3ac starter ring pressed on and a corolla clutch,pressure plate balenced :D
20v bt 022.JPG
20v bt 022.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Awesome Larry!
Just Simply Awesome!
I wanna see so video when it starts up
So that's how to get a 4A-GE fly wheel in a T4WD trans. Seems like so much work but so many options for larger Discs.

My swap is on stall untill I get other vehicles running.

Also, the Pace Setter Header coating is only to prevent rust, as stated on the sticker that came with mine. I recommend Rustoleum BBQ Black 1400 degree. Stuffs cheap, takes heat and doesn't smell bad like other coatings.

I think the only difference to mounting a 20v header vs a 16v is that the left and right outer most exhaust nuts and 10mm wider out on the 20v.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Synth just ordered a pace seter yesterday at least I can cut and weld as necessary, the flywheel cost 40 machine work 90, balance job 50, not bad all in all. started moding the air plenum for hood clearence,it will stock and drop the plenum down about 1 1/2 which works out just right. Thanks for your coment about the job, much appreciated :D The wireing harnes has been kinda a pain had to lengthen it 14 in to mount the ECU under the pass seat with 2 fi pump relay and c/opn relay coming right along. Turned it over the other day great oil press, was sweet. I'll post some pix Larry :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Pix of plenum, neen to mod trany mount and drop carrier bearing down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I just noticed your engine cross-member spacers!

NICE! Is that 2 inch OD 1/8wall Square Bar stock?
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Also what engine mounts are you planning on using?
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Huh, I'll have to redo my flywheel with a lightweight for a ae86 then! When finance permits! So much to be done! I only got to do my mold for the intake now! And more stuff eventually but the most important 1st! Next will be an airbox kinda like the you got and order a racing clutch thee only part missing! The one I got in the picture in my thread didn't made it to my place to bulky the shipping would of been an outrage! Nice work!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Synth engine spacers are 2"x1/4" box tubing with the ends caped, engine mounts are stock (for now) this is getting close. Had to fab a recess in the rear of plenumn to allow clearence for the heater control valve (built a box 3x4 and welded it in) lots of little mods to get this in place, and look like it belongs there. pix of plenumn later still ned to mod trany mount , carrier bearing. This is realy close to starting up.waiting on a header. Need to wire in circut /opening relay today and wireing will be pretty much done (plan on running it a little before i go back and wrap it and cover the harness with plastic) Had to mod radiator support to gain clearence for thicker rad core. Lil beast , turning down flywheel imho is the way to go with somethin that can turn 7200 rpm a lot safer and a lot of options for clutches. Having fun still :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

LilBeast my flywheel ended up weighing in at 11.6 pounds, total cost of project 40.oo flywheel inc freight,90.00 to turn down and install starter ring and step resurface ,50.00 to balance ,pretty reasonable.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

larry mcgrath wrote:LilBeast my flywheel ended up weighing in at 11.6 pounds, total cost of project 40.oo flywheel inc freight,90.00 to turn down and install starter ring and step resurface ,50.00 to balance ,pretty reasonable.
Need to ask Petros, but I think filling 4 holes and drilling 6 plus lightening the stock flywheel was a bit more in cost. Hurrah for another alternative! And I have at least 4 or 5 4A-GE flywheels laying around.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

larry mcgrath wrote:LilBeast my flywheel ended up weighing in at 11.6 pounds, total cost of project 40.oo flywheel inc freight,90.00 to turn down and install starter ring and step resurface ,50.00 to balance ,pretty reasonable.
If I compare to the prices have been quoted in my region it is a sweet deal! I used my 3a flywheel, got them to fill 4 holes, drill 6 to match the 8 holes and resurfacing for 220$ and they quoted me at 500 extra for the lightening and balancing what a rip-off! Anyway got one to fit, still have the 4age flywheel in case! But still not sure which trans I'll use for the RWD conversion, I do not want the fragile t-50! Was looking at a t5 they use in chevy's, I only looked at the clutch fit so far and the disc of the t5 kinda mate with 4age flywheel surface but just 1/8 wider I think it would only make a funny wear! Or use the 4age supercharge flywheel which is 228mm wide then it would be just fine! And figure out an adapter plate for mating to the engine! But I want my 4AG in with the FWD trans first, then make some bracket for the rear diff and axle and put 4wd trans in, then after figure that RWD option! Lots of fun left for this year! And lots more After
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Just finished wireing up c/o relay,when engine ignition is turned on ---- check engine light comes on ---- (sweet) when engine is cranked -- power to fuel pump (just ordered fuel line fittings and ss hose,pressure gague 2days ago) and spark from ig coil just like it should be. When I stop cranking ground drops off of ecu and opens c/o relay which drops power to fuel pump , Nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D the wireing has got me back to my aviation roots which has been great (was tempted to spray a little gass in the throtle to fire it off but over came the urge oh well) Great Day :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Awesome Larry!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

well for the last few days I've been wraping up loose ends,built a trany mount to drop trany 2" and carrier bearing. Welded a 3" piece of ex-pipe to mount air cleaner, this swap just fits close every where. Radiator fits nice,but original cooling fan wont fit due to increasing rad from 2 rows to 4 row for additional cooling looked at moding fan but chose to go with a aftermarket elec fan should be here tomorrow. still dont have a header (backordered )should be shipped sometime this week. Been keeping track of ALL COST of swap that I'll post at the end. Got fuel line and press gague instaled -fits nice ,press regulator holds pressure at 45 psi right at v20 spec ,holds press to15psi over night. Air Conditioning lines are a real tight fit will require a few chafe guards. built asmall box in back of plenum for heater valve clearence. This is ready to start,but no header. Still pluging right along :D :D :D :D :D
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Where did you get that 4 row radiator? What is it out of?

I have driven stock T4wd across very hot Texas desert at full throttle with single row radiator without issue, so I figured that the double row rad will likely take roughly doubly the hp of the stock 4age without issue. As if there was anywhere it would be legal to hold the throttle wide open for any length of time with double the hp, so unless there you are going to do some low speed rock crawling at full throttle, I am not sure there is a need to go more than the stock double row radiator.

The fact that double row exists at all is rather puzzling, if all of the other models of Tercels use the same engine, with the same power out put, why was a radiator with twice the capacity installed in the Tercel4wd?

It just seems for a daily driver, even in demanding conditions, a larger radiator is not really going to be required. The extra capacity is not a bad idea, and I may have to go to a larger one on my own swap, it just seems unnecessary so far. I am not planning on keeping the air conditioner either, adds too much weight and takes up too much room in the engine compartment.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)