Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by Petros »

sounds all great! You should do some 0-60 times when you are ready so we can compare it to stock.

I have been thinking about the rear brakes, the corolla all-trac has the same dia. drum brakes but are about 50 percent wider (more braking area). It seems to me it would be an easy swap over, like it will all mount on the same backing plate, you just need the shoes, mounting hardware, and drums to get more area.

I am not sure it would be much of a benefit since the rears have never been a problem, it is the front that seriously need an upgrade since they have a history of easy overheating and warping.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

I dont think I'll be doing any o-60 times,i'm not sure thet the trany would put up with much of that. I took out my 2" spacers between the frame and cross member (it had one hell of a vibration in the trany from the drastic change in cv joint angle went back to 1/2" spacer and all is fine) drives like it useto. had to mod the front top of the plenum to get enough hood clearence, but it still fits nice,had to extend the header and added a 2 1/4" x 12 flex joint to quiet exhaust down.Set a check engine light ,code 42 engine speed senser - this will half to be delt with either with a mod to speedometer or a transducer off spedo cable,I'll half to doo some checking.Started gathering the pieces for the ft brake upgrade ,waiting for some brake lines have all the other parts ready to install. This instal realy has made this car fun to drive at 3200 rpm it runs 70 mph without even a hint of strain. going to start looking for some 14x5.5 wheels and tires soon .Petros have you any more thoughts on rear brake drums and backing plates from all-track? Theirs one in a jyard about 60 miles from here I might go take a look at. Tomorrow I plan on putting the interiour back together, the weather has been rotten so that will be something to do. pix of brake parts. Larry :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Sorry wrong pix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Nice rotors! where are they from? Do they cost much?
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

The rotors and cerramic pads were 87.00 including freight diamond sloted and drilled not to bad a price I did'nt think brake lines should show up any day now .Petros have you given any more thohght to the rear drum brakes off of a all-track,if these will bolt up id'e like to do this all at one time Larry.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have not done it, but I am reasonably certain it can be done. The drum diameter is the same and interchangeable with the Tercel drums. Many parts houses are sending you Corolla rear drums instead of Tercel drums in fact, they fit fine but the shoe is narrower and only runs are part of the surface. So they do not even inventory the older narrower Tercel drums anymore.

They otherwise look the same, and I suspect they will all bolt on to the Trecel backing plate. The only consideration is the wheel cylinder has to mount a bit further out so they are centered on the wider shoes. So at worst you might have to get the All-trac backing plate, but I doubt that will be necessary. It seems Toyota would not make different backing plate for almost identical parts on almost identical rear axles.

Try it, the parts do not cost that much. Let us know what you find out.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Looking to buy a set of wheels for my car. Does anyone know what the stock wheel offset is. thinking about some Konig 14x6.5 or 15x6.5 . Stock wheel width seems to be 6"? what size tires will work out best, not woried about speedo error or change of gearing my B/T has more than enough power ,more concerend with tire noise and ride-handling, any thoughts. :D
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

stock wheel is more like 5", factory alloy is 5.5". six inches would be a good width, much more you risk it rubbing when at full lock.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Well heres a bit of an up date on my B/T, I got it hot and took the temper out of the compression rings. Compression fell from 205 all cyls to 135 all cyl 150 all cyl wet. Sucks!!!! Anyway I've got the engine totaly torn down,this is a real nice piece of steel all the way around, But a real pain in the but to get pieces for. rodbrgs---mainbrings--piston-rings-are-spefic-to-this-engine.--computer-space-bar-just-quite-hense-----dashes-love-this-thing--these-parts-are-on-order-from-stringfield-Oregon-Lithia-for-some-reason-they-cant-be-expided-from-japan----4--to--6-weeks--delivery-which-realy-sucks.---So-i'M-notsure-I'll-make-it-to-the-get-together-on-the-23rd-with-my-car-although-Iwill-be-there,cause-I-realy-want-to-meet-you-guys-and-gals.----------I've-called-all-over-for-these-parts-with-no-luck-ON-Club4ag-(drifters-forum-posted-up-for-help-these-guys-use-Lithia-toyota-springfield-Or---called-my-son-who-lives-in-perth-Australia-to-check-on-parts-not-in-stock-3-4-weeksto-get-to-australia-from-japan-and-at-right-at-twice-the-price!!!-------Here-are-the-p/n--for-these-parts-the=numbers-are-GOOD-numbers---piston-rings--p/n-13011-16360-set-120.00$-----rod-bearings--4ea--13041-16110-02---20.00$-each----gasket-set--04111-16330-----175.00$.-----Any-way-I'm-kinda-stuck-with-out-these-pieces----16v-has-diferent-rod-brgs-ring-set--(ring-lands-are-dif-width)--gasket-set-totaly-dif------Can-anyone-Help---Will-buy-you-lots-of-Beer-or-what-ever-LOTS--I'realy-would-like-to-make-this-get-together----Wile-this-has-been-apart-I've-replaced-bouth-axels-with-2-new-axls-not-reman---pulled-apart-the-ft-wheel-brgs-and-repacked-bearings-bearings-are-in-exelent-shape,-Car-has-had-a-slight-vibration-from-about-40mph-to-spedo-peged-but-goes-away-when-ever-the-car-goes-through-any-type-turn.----Left-axal-had-a-slight-click-in-it-when-making-a-turn-this-should-solve-this.---If-this-was-a-tire-out-of-balance-it-would-come-and-go-with-speed-I-hope---I'ts-going-to-be-hard-to-twidle-mt-thumbs-waiting-for-Parts.--------REMBEMBER-LOTS-OF-BEER=OR-WHAT-EVER-for-HELP
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the vibration is likely from a bad CV joint, so the new axles should solve that. I am surprised you can not find any rebuild parts here, it is not like the 20 valve engine is rare here (unless you got some kind of JDM variant).

I am going to Los Angels in 2 days, you can buy ANYTHING there. I will see what I can find and fed-ex any parts to you from there. If I can find what you need there you should have it by Friday or Saturday.

How did you over heat you car? Strange the rings would go so easy, must use light weight rings. I have badly overheated my 3ac a number of times (numerous head gasket replacements) and my compression is still very high.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

You are right my 3ac was hot more than once with little affect, top compression ring can be bent like a pretzel second ring snaps when spread cyl walls wern't scored nor were the pistons, all the bearing clearences are right at .00015 right where they should be. This engine is a JDM eneine 16v parts don't cross -ref I'll PM you my cell phone number and you can call me before you send me these pieces , Thanks Larry
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

do you actually need bearings? usually overheat only affects top end. I see what I can find in LA this week.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

I realy could get by with the bearings -their in exelent shape -i've built a lot of aircraft engines over the years and realy dont like using bearings over,but that being said I still need rings and a gasket set , and these parts are specfic to this engine.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Update thanks to Petros who went to the trouble to get me some part numbers that crossed to toyota p/n that are USA i 've got the pieces I needed to get my engine back together. The block is back to gether with new rings ect ,head is on and torqued, cams are in, timed with timing belt on and dizzy in and timed,valve cover is on. If things go right i should be able to have this running tomorrow, I hope. plan on making the rally on Saterday if every thing goes right I'll see all you people Saterday Larry: :D :D
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Just started the engine sounds great , a few things to do, set timing for one, no leaks sounds good. plan on being in Evert on Saterday Larry :D