All-trac Corolla for sale in Denver. Join me on the darkside

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

All-trac Corolla for sale in Denver. Join me on the darkside

Post by Mattel »

Hey... it says Tercel in the Advert.. :D

These cars are a lot crusier than our Tercs. I'm digging my corolla AWD - as they are called in aus

obviously not mine, but looks like great value at that milage. thought someone might find it interesting.. where is Typrus?

Condition:Used
Engine:1.5L L4 FI
Transmission:5 Spd Manual
Mileage:137,000
Drivetrain:All Wheel Drive
Exterior Color:Red
Interior Color:Gray
Warranty:Warranty Available

Vehicle Overview
1992 TOYOTA TECEL AWD WAGON - SUPER RARE CAR
This vehicle has never been in any accidents, never smoked in, never off road. original paint. Super, super clean. Amazingly low miles for the year. Every option works including the cruise control! Runs perfect. Red exterior, gray cloth interior

http://www.bouldermotors.com/detail-199 ... 24512.html
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Re: All-trac Corolla for sale in Denver. Join me on the dark

Post by hberdan »

I think I will call these folks.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

there's one in vancouver for the same price. if it were on the island i would definitely get it, despite my wife's concern of hoarding vehicles.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/c ... 92272.html
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like the seller is confused between the Tercel and corolla, they also list the engine as 1.5L. This car has the 1.6 4AFE engine.

I owned one of these cars for a while, they are very different cars from the Tercel. Heavier, less ground clearance, softer less responsive ride. A very nice AWD car, but not the same as the Tercel. After driving both for several months I decided I like the Tercel better and sold the All-trac Corolla. Resale is rather soft, meaning that clean examples I think do not get as much money as a good Tercel4wd.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

yes, i noticed the lack of ground clearance with the all-trac as well. i disagree about the resale value though, as i saw an '88 all-trac here in very good condition sell within a week, priced at $4900. i couldn't believe it. could have gone for a bit less than what the lot was asking but as it had only been there a short time i don't imagine they would have come down in price too much. then i saw another one, a real POS with lots of rust to the body, frame, and brake and fuel lines, sell for $900. most of them that i have seen on craigslist ask between $2000-$3000. most tercs i've seen run between $500-$1200, with the exception of those few creampuffs lately. i turned down a T4 here for $200, though in hindsight i wish i had taken it.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Petros, you are completely correct with your comparison and I was having a hard time working out what car to keep - The sturdy little mountain goat of a Tercel or the more refined but no less dependable Cruiser that is the Corolla ,

I had both for six months last year but because my driving is now along 100kmph freeways and not tight mountain roads I decided to keep the Corolla AWD. It has actually been a bit more economical than the Tercel on the freeway. Just recently on a trip to Adelaide from Melbourne (900kms the route I took) the corolla gave me 33mpg which I was quite impressed with. I actually only use the 4wd only a few times every year but there is very few small 2wd wagons in my price range that I could see - I was considering a diesel Pugeot 307 wagon for about $15,000 but parts and reliability are just not in the ball park.

The main reasonsfor upgrading was the smoother ride and much improved noise suppression the handy 50% extra power and the ability in the future to easily upgrade to the 4AGE and other engines are good points. Also these cars were very popular in Australia so parts are not an issue - many are shared with the common AE92 Corollas. I like the 'distinctive' styling of these cars as well. There are still a few driving around this part of Japan where I live although the salted roads seem to have claimed many older cars.

I have some air adjustable shocks that I want to place on my Corolla at some stage to assist the ground clearance issue - at least in the rear.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I went through all of the same comparisons, better engine, better brakes, nicer interior, etc. and very similar economy to the Tercel despite the heavier car and larger more powerful engine. The corolla would have far more performance parts available for it, and the EFI engine is really nice too. I also like the styling of the all-trac, I think it looks much more modern than the Tercel. But I traded off driving it for six months, and I always liked the Tercel better. More like the rough road car I want, and all of the features I do not like about the Tercel I figured would make a fun project (like putting in a 4age, than I would have more power AND less weight than the all-trac, like better fuel economy too). And state side, Tercel parts, especially the transmission, are far more common. I have never even seen a good transmission for the all-trac in a local yard (the few I have seen are automatics).

So I stuck with the Tercel, and plan to change everything I do not like about it. Eventual, as my budget allows, I want a full custom interior to replace all that plastic on the doors, dash and elsewhere. I do not know if I will ever get that far, but the engine and suspension mods are in process now, and I already up graded the brakes. I will get the car I want.

I thought the All-trac would sell easy since they are so rare, yet a great car. This was in 2008 I think. I had a totally rebuilt head on it, and I had installed new rings and bearings, front and rear seals on the engine. and a new clutch. Already had new brakes and half shafts. The body and interior was in great shape, no rust, all glass perfect. I cleaned it up further (touch up paint, trim, etc.), it only had a few small dings in the fender lip and a minor side swipe on the passenger door. But I hardly got any inquiries, I kept re-listing it at lower and lower prices. I got down to $1700. and my neighbor said he would buy it from me since he wanted the AWD (we live on the same steep gravel road). He is still driving it and loves it, he got a great deal. I would have guessed it would be worth at least $2000. but after 2 months I only had 3 or 4 curious inquiries and no one came to look at it, even at the price of $1700. When I listed a beater Tercel4wd I had 12 inquired that night, and the first guy that looked at the next day it bought at full price. Go figure.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

T-4WD always get plenty of parts from " Hatchback and FWD -station wagon ", this Corolla is one of it kind body style , they are hard to find parts even have to wait for special order from other country. GO ! T-4WD GO !