Better value for price: '86 DLX or '83 SR5 ?

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
themadbalmer

Better value for price: '86 DLX or '83 SR5 ?

Post by themadbalmer »

Hello!

I had an '83 SR5 Tercel Wagon. Best car I ever had.

I'm looking to get a new (for me) car and I really want to get another 80's Tercel Wagon. I've talked with two different people that have them available for sale. I was wondering if you all could give me your input on which one might be the better choice.

#1 is a 1986 Tercel DLX. It is an automatic transmission with 118,000 miles on it. Excellent cosmetic condition, doesn't look to need much mechanical work. He's asking $2,650 for it. The price seems quite high but I'm am tempted because it was kept in good shape and has very low miles.

#2 is a 1983 Tercel SR5. Basically the same as my old one. It's a manual with 185,000 miles. The paint isn't so great and the inside shows wear. Says it runs good and has a number of parts replaced with new. He's asking $2000 for it.

Any advice or input is appreciated!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Better value for price: '86 DLX or '83 SR5 ?

Post by splatterdog »

Both seem priced a little high. Tough call though.

Myself, I lean towards the manuals on these cars.

And clinometers are cool!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

splatter you're right, the '83 probably would have a clinometer! tempting, but honestly i would pass on both of those. wayyyyy overpriced. they're fairly low miles but not THAT low. if i saw a totally mint terc i would drop probably $1200 max. as it is, mine was in very good condition and i got it for $600.

auto vs. standard: if you love driving, stick with a standard. if you prefer not to think about it, go for the auto. i want an auto because i f*ing hate stop-and-go rush hour traffic but i f*cking DESPISE stop-and-go rush hour traffic in a standard. autos suck for tearing it up though.

sr5 vs dlx: doesn't matter. the differences that matter between the two are seats and tachometer, both of which are easy to swap out if you can find a donor vehicle at a scrapyard.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I paid $1200 for an '83 several years ago with about the same miles...guy wanted $2K then. I think he got a fair price. The auto is underpowered...and buzzy...so I hear...except around town it would be good.

Most people see the high miles and figure NO WAY...so you could probably talk him down. These cars STILL need some parts put in them...my wagon has more in added parts than I paid for it....my installs...not jobbed out.

Big diff between the NW and prices elsewhere.....I've only seen maybe one/two other wagons around here..but one is 2WD.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

There is no way a 24-26 year old Tercel is worth that much. I have owned 5 of them, the most I paid was $200 (all needed work), you can buy good daily drivers for under $1000 if you shop. Even a perfect one with low miles is only good for about $1500-1600. Nobody restores them to showroom condition, so even if garaged and driven little there are parts that will need to be replaced because of the age, a car this old will always have issues. These are great low maintenance cars, and very easy to work on compared to most other cars, but there will always be minor and major issues to deal with, no matter the condition you buy it in.

Where are you located? One new list member just paid $500 for one that looked like new, with low miles too in western Washington (though he was lucky even for this area). There is someone advertising on Seattle Craig's list for a nice low mileage SR5 for $2200, for the last 4 months, still has not sold (too much). There are still a lot available around here, it is worth traveling a state or two away to get a good example with a good body (no rust or damage). Just be patient and the ideal car for you will come along. You can find great deals on one in good shape that need repairs, presuming you can do the work yourself. Not usually worth it if you have to pay for a new head gasket replacement, clutch, or ring job, etc. IF you can do the work yourself, these are relatively inexpensive repairs if you do them yourself.

I highly recommend getting the manual trans, and the SR5 version (unless you get a great deal on a DX). The car is already underpowered the auto trans just makes it a real pig. They are also less common, and the auto trans will wear out sooner or later, and replacement trans will be hard to find, and forget doing an auto trans rebuild (likely $2500, if you can find new parts for it, not likely).

Good luck in your search.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

You will enjoy driving the manual trans more. I'd also suggest that you hold out for a '85 or above model as they have lower 1st, 2nd & reverse gears in the tranny and lower gears in the differentials as well. There is a pretty good consensus here that the later model cars drive much better in the mountains and don't really suffer a significant mileage penalty either.

The '85 & up engines are tuned for much better low rpm performance also.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Petros- Again you are thinking locally and are T4 spoiled. Most areas have very few of these left. A nice low mileage one on ebay can easily get as much as 3-4k. That could still be money ahead for a T4 vs other 3-4k cars as far as total cost of ownership.

There aren't that many people as handy as some of us. I'm in the $200 or less club too. Although I did pay $450 for my first T4. It was well worth it though. For the less mechanically inclined 2-3k makes lots of sense. Provided they are actually "worth it" of course. Also, ANY car is worth what someone will pay for it.

Where are you located madbalmer? Location plays a huge factor on these cars.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

splatterdog wrote:Petros- Again you are thinking locally and are T4 spoiled.
That might be true, but I bought one of mine in Colorado, and I have seen them in ID, MT and AZ for low cost too. And they all had little to no rust.

If they sell for that much in your neck of the woods, I should buy as many as I can here at any price, drive to MN and sell them there. Would make a fun and profitable vacation. Would a rust free one be a slow seller for $3000 in MN?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Without special needs, there would be a good chance. If gas breaks $3 and stays there, definitely. 2-3k range would be more realistic, unless it's really nice/low miles.

Back when it was pushing $4, I had a few people come to my front door asking about mine. Don't know if they specifically wanted a T4 or just any old s***box. I nicely told all of them, no effin way!

Farther east, there could be even more demand.

Just save at least one nice one for me!
themadbalmer

Post by themadbalmer »

I'm in California, gas is quite expensive here now so that might be a factor in the high price for these car.

I went and drove around the '83 SR5 today. I had a lot of fun but there is no way it should be selling for $2000! The inside was quite funky, actually worse than my old one. I really love the clinometer(?) though, those things are so awesome especially since I'm always going up and down hills.

After talking to the guy with the '86, I've got the impression that the reason he wants so much for it is because he doesn't really want to sell it! He seems to be a car collector that has a few too many but doesn't want to give any up. I think he only wants to sell it to someone who wants it so much that they're willing to pay that price.

Might wait it out and see if one shows up for a better price. I still really like the little white '83 so I'm not sure what I'll do yet...

Thank you all for giving me your input!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

if you're in california i would just keep my eyes peeled on the craigslist in oregon. there seem to be quite a few 4WD tercs in that neck of the woods and it's not really that far from you. don't know about transfering vehicles from state to state down there, though.
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

"#1 is a 1986 Tercel DLX. It is an automatic transmission with 118,000 miles on it. Excellent cosmetic condition, doesn't look to need much mechanical work. He's asking $2,650 for it. The price seems quite high but I'm am tempted because it was kept in good shape and has very low miles."It didn't say 4WD, but as for FWD are not underpower but high RPM at 60 mph (3,200 + rpm) my wife and Daughter driving it now as third Automactic car. the're great .
"Daviducasbarues said :sr5 vs dlx: doesn't matter. the differences that matter between the two are seats and tachometer, both of which are easy to swap out if you can find a donor vehicle at a scrapyard." yes that what i am driving (swap SR5 epuiment -door panels,tech,deats,wheels,)
I have been watching Tercel on E-BAy and they are willing to pay big bucks, it because of locatation what "splatterdog" was saying and people relaize 83-86 Tercal are one of most reliable cars ever build , tons of people comes to me "ohh I use to own that car that hardly ever breakdown "