Tercel with 4WD Wanted in Minnesota

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Tercel4WDwannabe
My tercel:: 1985 T4WD SR5

Tercel with 4WD Wanted in Minnesota

Post by Tercel4WDwannabe »

First of all, I'm new here.

Now that that's out of the way... My girlfriend owns a 87 Tercel Wagon (2wd) and I'm beginning to realize that it's pretty much the best, cheapest to fix, easiest to maintain, most practical, and most reliable vehicle I've ever driven. We're thinking about moving out to Colorado this winter and I'd like to get my hands on one with 4wd. Anyone in my area have one they would like to give up? I'd pay top dollar for the right one. I live in St. Cloud and would be willing to travel 300-400 miles to pick it up. Thanks!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Tercel with 4WD Wanted in Minnesota

Post by splatterdog »

Check craigslist daily. You might have to travel even farther to find one without lots of rust. They do pop up locally from time to time, but they are usually very rusty and or badly broken/undriveable.

Lucky for you I already have a spare, so you don't have to worry about me swiping it away from you(unless it's really nice!).

Should've figured this out a little sooner. emmahumpfritter had a rust free but no title one in your town! I wanted it bad, but money was tight, and I already had two. My wife also considers three to be excessive. We don't always see eye to eye....
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

They are one of the best little 4x4 wagons made, and still available in many part so of the country. THere are always a few on for sale on the Seattle craig's list, but that is a long way to go to get one. Unless you find one in your area that has been garaged, you will likely only have rust buckets available. I suggest you check the craig's list in western states (especially NM, AZ, NV, ID, MT, CO, UT) where you can find good ones that are not all rusty. YOu also might consider waiting until you get to CO to buy one, much less likely to have body rot and rust issues.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

mr. dog, are you saying that humpfritter had two rust-free tercs? that son of a bitch.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

splatterdog wrote:. My wife also considers three to be excessive. We don't always see eye to eye....
I think having ten would be good, so why don't you just compromise with your wife and average it out. 2+10/2=6.

Therefor Six is a good compromise. :D

That is always the problem with staying married, you always have to make compromises.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:mr. dog, are you saying that humpfritter had two rust-free tercs? that son of a bitch.
Don't call me mister! Makes me feel old. Remember your first time. haha

No, he had an extra rust free car from Cal without title that sold this summer. I think it went for 5 hundo. His driver is very rust free. Got a good look up it's skirt when it got webered.

Wannabe- if you are heading southwest you may want to search when you get there. The prices there usually are higher, but rust will be minimal. Not to influence your move, but emissions testing can be a problem for old cars in Co.
Tercel4WDwannabe

Thanks for all the good advice, keep it coming. Just doing some searches on Crazedlist it looks like there's a bigger concentration in the NW over everywhere else.

Does anyone know if the 85 hatchback came with optional 4WD? I talked to the owner of the following car and he said it was, but didn't seem too sure.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/c ... 21352.html

Here's the car, (245,000 miles):

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4yXEI ... ist&num=50
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4yXEI ... y=CKStu54K
Tercel4WDwannabe

Oh, and also... Is craigslist.com pretty much my best and only option? I don't see too many older cars on Autotrader etc.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Tercel4WDwannabe wrote:Thanks for all the good advice, keep it coming. Just doing some searches on Crazedlist it looks like there's a bigger concentration in the NW over everywhere else.

Does anyone know if the 85 hatchback came with optional 4WD? I talked to the owner of the following car and he said it was, but didn't seem too sure.
I have seen similar wording in some ads for T4WDs, but it just depends on the seller. The hatchbacks never came with 4WD, only the wagons, but some people call the wagon a hatchback. So, perhaps you should just ask if it is a 5 door wagon and whether it has the 4WD lever, that's the easiest way for the seller to understand you I think.

Petros wrote:
splatterdog wrote:. My wife also considers three to be excessive. We don't always see eye to eye....
I think having ten would be good, so why don't you just compromise with your wife and average it out. 2+10/2=6.

Therefor Six is a good compromise. :D

That is always the problem with staying married, you always have to make compromises.
10 is the perfect number, you could have two of them from every year, both a DLX and SR5 model! Fortunately for me, I don't have to compromise with anyone over how many I can have :D . At least not yet...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"