Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon Build-up (Update may 18)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Barto
Top Notch Member

Re: Barto's Build 1987 T4 LIFT-BUMPERS-ETC. UPDATED APRIL 15

Post by Barto »

Thank you for all of the positive comments...... :D

Blade - are you talking about the front or rear bumper? if it is the rear then the bends start just after the factory mounts that slide into the uni-body. hope that helps.

Synth - I will get a pic as soon as i can, I did check the millage of the camry and it was 200,000 kms. Just the camry springs will net about 2 1/4" of lift in the front with my added spacers I got 4" on the nose the ride is not stiff but way firmer then stock. Honestly it is amazing like I said should have done this from the factory. SO much BETTER.......
Front brake lines need to have the retainer removed and you can get an extra 2-3" from just straightening the line were it comes through the inner fender. With the addition of the 5/8" drive train drop all drive line angles are more then acceptable. this spacer went between the engine cross member and the uni-body, I had to buy grade 8 bolts that were an inch longer and it took all of 10 minutes to drill the 2 holes necessary for install. I have had to adjust the camber bolts to there limit to get the angle back to stock. The only issue which is not really an issue is when reversing into a parking spot because of the higher spring rate the front end raises about an inch which leaves the front wheels with positve camber. A quick role forward gets it all back nice, just looks funny when parked if not rolled forward a foot to bring everything back down.

Steering alignment was never changed because I never had to touch the tie-rods. The car tracks straight as an arrow even at 75mph on the highway :mrgreen:

hope that answers some of the ? I can take pictures in the next couple of days of anything you want to see just have patients.

We have also lift GTSsportrcoupes old t4 the same way here is a couple of pictures of the bumpers and lift in it.

also did some bumpers up for his, he has the 3000lbs superwinch on the front.

tows a small utilty trailer with the rear bumper.

I had some sliders bent up at a friends work that cover the whole rocker in 3/16" steel all one piece. they are already on the gray T4 and i have mine all ready to weld on to mine. You can literally jack up the car anywhere you want on the rocker and there is no deflection. 8)

quick pic of rocker. spot welded into the door jam and welded to the pinch seam at the bottom of the rocker SUPER BEEFY (ad tim the tool man taylor grunt here).
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Barto wrote: I have had to adjust the camber bolts to there limit to get the angle back to stock. The only issue which is not really an issue is when reversing into a parking spot because of the higher spring rate the front end raises about an inch which leaves the front wheels with positve camber. A quick role forward gets it all back nice, just looks funny when parked if not rolled forward a foot to bring everything back down.

Steering alignment was never changed because I never had to touch the tie-rods. The car tracks straight as an arrow even at 75mph on the highway
Hate to say it...but I'd guess you need to check the toe-in....when the angle of the tie rods changes...this changes their length. You also might have some kind of binding going on. Not trying to rain on your parade...you just need to be safe.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

homeskool, your wagon is the reason i decided to go for a tercel 4wd! i've seen your car on burnside and oak bay and even took pictures of it once. i thought, "who pimps out a tercel wagon?" and that was it, i was sold. i'm game for meeting up, i'll start a new thread in the off-topic section and we can figure out a time/place.
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

takza wrote:
Barto wrote: I have had to adjust the camber bolts to there limit to get the angle back to stock. The only issue which is not really an issue is when reversing into a parking spot because of the higher spring rate the front end raises about an inch which leaves the front wheels with positve camber. A quick role forward gets it all back nice, just looks funny when parked if not rolled forward a foot to bring everything back down.

Steering alignment was never changed because I never had to touch the tie-rods. The car tracks straight as an arrow even at 75mph on the highway
Hate to say it...but I'd guess you need to check the toe-in....when the angle of the tie rods changes...this changes their length. You also might have some kind of binding going on. Not trying to rain on your parade...you just need to be safe.

You are bye no means raining on my parade........... With this car it could snowing and my parade would still go on..........
okay enough of that. I had it into my good friends shop and put it on the alignment machine. we went over everything and nothing was out of spec. toe was spot on, and the only thing that was actually changed was the front sway bar. I had attained one with much better rubbers then the previous and decided to throw it on well it was on the hoist and I could stand under it. He Agreed with me that there is no binding and also believes that the positive camber is being caused by the higher spring rate of the camry spring. Possibly a flawed design causes this to happen and that is why these cars were sold with such crappy front springs........?

I understand what you are saying with the toe in and thinking that it may be out. But because I used the stock tercel strut it can only extended as far as a stock tercel strut. I have basically reversed what section I use. Stock would be 70%down travel 30% up travel now I have 70% up travel and 30% down travel if you can catch what I am saying. So the actual travel of the strut is still the same as stock, and well within factory specs.

As for safety I care a great deal about keeping a vehicle safe for use on public roads. That is why brake fixes occur before engine fixes, who cares if it runs if you can't stop the dam thing. :mrgreen:

Now I'm off to the shop to install my new sliders Cheers For now.
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
Barto
Top Notch Member

Re: Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon

Post by Barto »

Here Is some more progress on the old T4 I bought a roof rack off of a fellow tercel 4wd member (davidlucasbarnes) thanks dave
It sure saved me time and totally fit with the look I'm going for Kinda a Ultimate Adventure Wagon theme. There it is I just named it "Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon" LOL

I am going to weld on some brackets for things like water jug, gas cans, shovel, and ramps (very handy when in the bush). But was to exited to see how it would look so I mounted it.
I'm glad I went that route now, because it is way easy to decide where to locate above items when it is on the car. l had an old yakima fairing kicking around so I put it on the front, I think it finishes the car nicely. Also got the sliders/rockers mounted and tested. I went rock crawling kinda last week end and the sliders worked great.

Well here are some of the pics. My Friend got some great shots on his cam and I will post those pics when I get them.

2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon Build-up (Update may 18)

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Looks great!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

two words, bart: BAD ASS! national geographic should endorse that thing and send it around the world!

i'll call you later tonight. i just found a 4A-C out in sooke for $350 so i'm hoping to stop by there before i come to your place tomorrow. we'll yak about it later!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Now you've got to head for Alaska or ship it down under and cross the outback?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool »

Dude thats awesome, The roof rack add on is wicked. I'd love to see the sliders in person to see how you did it.
You think about putting your Tercel into your the all Japanese import car show on the 30th? A large amount of the cars there are peoples cars mid project. Yours is looking more like a finished project but I bet you'd get a lot of attention with a done up 4x4.
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

I am thinking that I will enter it. Still needs a few more things but I may make it in time. As long as I get to park beside your T4 homeskool. That way we will make each others look better, Kind of a contrast.
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool »

Thats a great idea, Our cars would be a perfect contrast from street to offroad. If I have the paint job done on my girl friends 2wd tercel I'll get her to bring it along as well. I just got my old pair of low pro 17inch rims installed on hers and they look great. Just gota get the paint on now. Would be great to have 3 tercels in the show.

If to do decide to come we should meet up in a parking lot a few minutes before so we can all arrive together so they direct us to park in the same place. A few years ago some of us toyota guys got spread all over and it was'nt as fun. Let me know as soon as you know if you'll be able to come so we can plan a bit if needbe.

ALso the other day I passed a toyota wagon driving up the #1 going the Landford direction. It was a lifted wagon with a Tercel4wd.com sticker on the back window, I need to get one of these stickers for my car. Not too sure whos car it was? Must be someone who posts on here if they have a decal on their window. :?:
I honked and waved but then realized I may have just looked like a crazy guy, I should know not everyone knows of me just because I drive a yellow wagon.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Plenty of Merchandise left.
As a matter of fact, I've hardly sold any of it. Gave away good fair bit though.

http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=4192
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

Here are the Pics From my friends Camera 8) It was A great Day to be in the mountains. This car is great it takes me to these places with ease.

2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Gotta say again - that rack with the paint job is just great!
Paint the Yak spoiler the same as the rack, though.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

bart, where are those photos from? looks rad. there are a few roads up the back of mt. baldy in shawnigan that you may or may not know of, one of them can take you to the very top and it's a rad view of shawnigan on one side and brentwood bay on the other. i have a feeling i'm preaching to the choir, though.