Countershaft Bearing pressed into differential housing

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
swanterky
My tercel:: 86 FWD converted from auto to 5 spd; '87 DLX 4WD

Countershaft Bearing pressed into differential housing

Post by swanterky »

Both the 6 Spd and 5 Spd manual trannies have a bearing that the end of the countershaft (containing 5th Gear) slides into when the transmission is reunited with the differential housing. This needle type bearing is pressed into the differential housing, but is not identified in either the .pdf manual as is available on tercel4wd.com, or in the printed version of the manual. A friend has purchased a 5 spd from me to install into his '86 sedan (replacing the 4 spd manual), but his differential housing contains only a plug and not the forementioned bearing. He has removed the plug and needs to purchase the bearing in order to facilitate proper support for the end of the countershaft. If he cannot find this part, then he must change the differential as well, which means removing the axles and many other parts.
Does anyone have a part number for this bearing, or know where it can be purchased? Toyota in B.C. Canada has said that it is unavailable, because the cost of changing the transmissions is more than the car is worth. (B.S.)
Incidentally, the 5 Spd is from an 80-82 series Tercel, and appears to be identical, but is the tranny only, without the differential.
Please email me at mrkmy@shaw.ca if you have any information.
swanterky
My tercel:: 86 FWD converted from auto to 5 spd; '87 DLX 4WD

Re: Countershaft Bearing pressed into differential housing

Post by swanterky »

Thanks to Toyota Part Numbers posted by ARCHINSTL, I have found the number and have located sources for the bearing needed. I should have noticed his posting before, but the info about the 80-82 5 speeds fitting the 83 onwards may be of use to some, so I will leave the posting for now.