Lift kit!!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Jasons83
My tercel:: 1983 soon not to be stock

Lift kit!!

Post by Jasons83 »

Where the hell can I get one. I only need about 3" over stock.
Alex's tercel lives on with me! will post pics soon
Ron B.
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5

Re: Lift kit!!

Post by Ron B. »

Jasons83 wrote:.... hell ....
I would prefer, and I am sure others would too, that you write without using such an offensive word.

Thank you!

Ron B. in Lake George, NY
'84 with 256k miles on the original transmission
Cheers!

Ron B. in Lake George, NY
'84 SR5 Wagon with 257k miles under partial restoration
'88 Fiero GT with 22k miles and driven daily
'65 Ford Econoline 5-window pickup under full restoration
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

no one that I am aware of makes a "kit" for this obsure of a 25 year old model. You will have to develop your own "kit", or just fab what you need from scratch, there are number of threads on this topic so search the archives for what others have done.

Why so much lift? Three inches is a bit much for the CV joints (it puts a sharp angle on the front ones) if you need that much lift you might consider repositioning the front engine mounts (lower them by shimming down the cross member) and a few other tweaks to the keep the half shaft from making such a sharp angle on the CV joint.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros -
There was a recent post on TN from a prospective purchaser who wanted to slam a Wagon. I replied in much the same fashion as did you. But what did I know?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Don't forget about dropping the lower control arms. A custom drop bracket like what is used on today's IFS trucks would have to be fab'd. Done well, that would also serve as a crossmember adding some more strength to a critical area.

I would only be offended here if the car was getting donk'd.
Jasons83

Post by Jasons83 »

No the car isn't getting donked. I have 14" isuzu wheels with goodyear wranglers. The original springs are sagging and the tires rub fender on bumps. I just want to clear the wheels from doing so. Will new springs OE's and the rubber spacers solve this problem?
Jasons83

Post by Jasons83 »

heres some pics to show my delimma.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Replacement lug nuts are not expensive...
What size are those tires? Looking at the photo of the rear wheels, it would seem that even lifting the rear of the car would not alleviate the problem of fender-rubbing - unless you did at least four inches. Of course, the tires would still move up and down in the well...
While front springs are available, the only rears specifically for the T4WD are Pedders, from Australia; it does have an outlet in CO; do a Search here for info. It seems that someone here used Wrangler/Cherokee springs - again, do a Search.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Yeh i'm gonna say go down an inch on those tires..those are ridiculous.
Jasons83

Post by Jasons83 »

if the springs weren't so saggy I wouldn't have to go down an inch on the tires. I talked to a guy at Eibach and we talked about doing a custom spring set for our cars. he told me it would only be beneficial to them if we could get like 20 to 30 sets made. making only one or two sets would't be worth it. cost wise. They will make the springs if I can get enough people to order enough sets. anyone interested?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Nice looking car, nice wheels too (are you going to replace the Isuzu lables with Toyota ones?). Your tires are too large, they would still rub on the rebound (you still need wheel travel even if you raise it).

Stock springs will bring the ride height back up. Or you can install air adjustable rear shocks for about $75. Or spring spacers, I would use the full donut type. Search the archives, someone made Cherokee springs fit by cutting them down, it both stiffened and raised the rear.

I would consider a set of Eibach springs, but I want to know how much and I only want about an inch of additional ride height. I would likely take the cheaper way out if they cost too much, even if we order 20 sets. They are not the only company that will custom make springs for you, you might check around the internet and see who else would wind you some custom springs.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jasons83

Post by Jasons83 »

Yeah If I did do the custom spring it would only be like an inch over stock. I plan on running air shocks in the back anyways. thank you for your input.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

if the springs weren't so saggy I wouldn't have to go down an inch on the tires. I talked to a guy at Eibach and we talked about doing a custom spring set for our cars. he told me it would only be beneficial to them if we could get like 20 to 30 sets made. making only one or two sets would't be worth it. cost wise. They will make the springs if I can get enough people to order enough sets. anyone interested?

Count ME in!!!! :)
K-Business
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Going by what others told me on here, i think i plan to lift mine by using front struts/springs from a corolla all-trac, and then rear springs from a cherokee or somthing similar that will fit preferably without CUTTING the springs...sound like a good idea? idk how stiff i want the springs in my rear end tho...im planning to have a custom 30+ gallon fuel tank full of WVO in the back...
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project