i need HELP!!!!!!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: i need HELP!!!!!!

Post by Neu »

engine swaps on these cars are so ridiculously easy it's awesome.
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

well not in my case the tork converter wasa pain and now the new used motor i found out is sezed so im rebuilding mine and takeing this one back. so now i also have bought a 2 core rad to replace my old one and im going to bore this one out a bit and get new every thing and hopefully get more power out of the car. the only thing im not doing now is the weber carb that i will do later.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

so i got the motor finished today and put in the motor in and i found out that the mechanic forgot to tightin the crankshaft and the flywheel. so i had it runing and there was a horendis nocking and the starter was smoking so we let it cooled down and re moved it and that is when i found the flywheel to be lose and the mechanice found the crank to be lose.so insted of pulling the motor and he taking it to his shop he towed it home and we will work on it in his shop.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

And the fellow who forgot to tighten the crank/flywheel will continue to work on your car?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Whoops. How do you "forget" to tighten the crank and flywheel? it sounds like this mechanic needs more time "practicing" his trade on his own cars before he works on others' cars. If he does this for a living his is going to go broke with this kind of carelessness.

He needs a process that double checks everything before it gets "closed up". This is such a basic error it would put everything else he did on the engine in question.

When you rebuild an engine you want to last a long time, all the parts need to be removed and carefully inspected and measured for damage. if the crank was not torqured than it likely should get new bearings. If there is no damage to the flywheel it can be reused, but I would consider replacing the crank bolts with new high strength bolts.

If he was doing this a favor to you, he did you no favor.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Ouch! Never hurts to double,triple, or even quadruple check everything that you touched.

Attention to detail is everything. Someone here even documented their engine's repair blunder. After rebuild it promptly threw a rod. Pictures posted here of the process clearly showed a missing rod nut. Oops.

Recheck everything......
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

Report this postReply with quotenew mechanic.
by blade » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:16 pm

hey everyone that lives on the areia of okanagan falls BC, oliver BC, penticton BC and keromose BC there is a new mechanic his name is Edwin Meakin he runs Ultamate mobile automotive. when you car brakes down phone him and he will come to you and fix it. just tell him that Calvin sent you. his phone number is 250-488-6915

HMMMMMM ! Is that the same guy who goof up , in that case you better remove this post for your own protection .
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

we are in the prosess of cheacking every thing over and he is replaceing the barings and the flywheel just to make shure and this is the first time it hase happend he has 30 years of exsperince but everyone makes mastakes.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

no it is not the same guy the guy that is working on my car lives in penticton and the mechanic thatyou are talking about lives in okanagan falls and he is now going to be working on my car for me.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

the guy that gooft up is an ed thomas and the new guy that is going to fix my car is edwin meakin.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

dose an one know where i could get the lugage cover for the rear of my 87 tercl mying was stolen and i have not been able to find a new one to replace it so any help would be nice thanks.