Tercel Heaven, Nova Scotia Edition

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Tercel Heaven, Nova Scotia Edition

Post by dcn »

I've mentioned this place before, but I didn't have any pics until today. It's just outside Halifax, and is a junkyard with LOTs of Toyotas, some Hondas. And a few Terc Wagons too I took a pic of each of the ones I saw today when my brother and dad and I were there, enjoy! These were taken with my phone, and turned out pretty good, I'm surprised at how nice they look.

This car is exactly like mine, except for the square center horn type steering wheel that mine thankfully doesn't have:

These two were close enough to get both in one frame:

Scratch one back window..

Danger!

This one had a weird engine in it, see below..What a reliable shed!

Anyone ever hear of these?

Not many of 'em have wheels, this one actually did

Another Terc,

And another!

Rust! Argh!

Last one I was able to see:

And it was hardly even used:

My Dad's: It got us back home without incident, of course!

So there's at least 11 parts cars I have access to, and with the 2 my dad own and mine, that's a LOT of Tercel Wagons! Woo Hoo!
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Re: Tercel Heaven, Nova Scotia Edition

Post by SirNik83 »

Thats a nice roof rack in the 4th picture, and I love the paint green one!Very 80s! I wish I was near that junkyard.

We had a great imports only junkyard here, everything was organized, and there were lots of Toyotas, and Mercedes, I use to just walk the yard to kill time and check out the new arrivals and pick up the "must have" parts. sadly they merged with the domestic yard, and scrapped 90% of their inventory. I talked to one of the guy who works there that i am friends with, and he said they are going to reorganize the the lot and open up a second "show room" for the imports. but for now, no good parts.

My friends Tercel had the radiator go out, and instead of getting a cheap junk yard one, I drove 2 hours to my dads house and took it from a parts car.

You are lucky to have your junkyard!
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
SRfive
My tercel:: SR5

Post by SRfive »

wow, willing to pull the rack of that one car with the red flame sticker and sell it? that green colored one is really nice!

or if you could find some mud flaps that would work. Your lucky to have all those cars near you!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

So that's where they go to die. :(
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dcn
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dcn »

Yeah, there are a couple that are able to be brought back road worthy, and the guy there, like anyone that's owned a Terc is in love with them and has many stories and names for some of them. I didn't see it as being sad, I thought of it like a gold mine, and another positive note is that none of them are going near a crusher any time soon!
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

haha a 3A swirl control valve? (swirl intake)

By the way, a couple of the pics don't work, they just say Image
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
dcn
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dcn »

terkill wrote:haha a 3A swirl control valve? (swirl intake)

By the way, a couple of the pics don't work, they just say Image
Hmm, I counted the ones in my post text, and the ones that are actually showing and I tried to post 13 and there are 13 showing from here. Very odd terkill.

Here's the album if that helps:

http://img13.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc00053aoc.jpg

Looks like s SCV engines are 62HP too. I was hoping I'd found something with some more 'oomph'. Argh! All the 4As around here have rusted engine mounts and are no good for my car. Dang it, I hope some day I can get one and join the 4A Terc club.

Is it a huge difference from the 3A as far as the 'feel'?

I also found this engine, it was crated over from Japan and is under a couple tarps:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That last one is the duel SU carb installation. I have only seen them on imported crate engines. I have owned several old volvos in the past that used the SU carbs, I love them. Simple and reliable, good economy too. Some people hate them, but that is because they do not know how to tune them (easy once you know how). I wonder how much power they put out on a NorthAmerican 3ac engine. I almost bought a set for the 3ac off of Craig's list once, but it got away.

Do any of those Tercel 4wd have good transmissions? if so get them and store them! They are worth as much as the whole car. I have been looking for a '85 or newer trans, along with the 4.1:1 rear end to convert my '84 over to the newer ratios.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've had those SU carbs on some British roadsters...hardly ever had an issue with them...used a rubber tube to determine airflow and balance them out if I remember right.
Last edited by takza on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Yeah, there are a couple that are able to be brought back road worthy, and the guy there, like anyone that's owned a Terc is in love with them and has many stories and names for some of them. I didn't see it as being sad, I thought of it like a gold mine, and another positive note is that none of them are going near a crusher any time soon!

PHEW! PRAISE THE LORD!! IT IS SAD TO KNOW WHEN ANY TERCS NEAR ME GO TO THE CRUSHER! :( However, with your Tercs, they look very nice! I really want that 3A-SU engine!!! Any idea how much mileage it has on it? I bet with a very nice Engine Degreaser it will clean up very nice!! What is the name of this junkyard, does it have a website and is there any way I could contact the owner of it easily? Thanks dcn! =) :)
K-Business
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I'd try to snag that 3A-S engine if you can. They reportedly have 90hp@6000rpm and 89tq@4000rpm ( http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/pit/ ... ngine.html ). Compression is higher than the 3A-C at 9.3:1. Ultimately, I think they have a different cam which moves the power up in the rpm range (thus giving a higher hp number). At the very least, it would be fun to snag the cam and throw it into your 3A-C. I wish I could have done that with my tercel. I had a Weber and free flowing exhaust, but the stock cam was very limiting to flow. Anyhow...just the ramblings of a guy suffering tercel 4wd withdrawl. Very cool wrecking yard find.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
teenahlake
My tercel:: 1983, tercel sr5

Post by teenahlake »

did the 4th phot from the bottom have one black front fender on it if so it is my old girl. I dropped my phone in the wash, and donèt have paulès # anymore could you post or pm