FS: 86 Tercel 4wd SR5

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

FS: 86 Tercel 4wd SR5

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

It has unfortunately become time to replace my Tercel. So, it's up for sale. If I can't get what I want for it as a whole, I'll part it out. So let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. I'll post up some pics soon.

In general, the good is:
-Almost everything has been replaced while I owned it.
-The car is a super reliable driver.
-Has the most power of any Tercel 4wd I've been in.
-If the body was addressed, it could probably go another 200,000kms without much cost

The bad is:
-Rusty rockers and fenders
-A dent in one front fender
-Rear wheel bearings should probably be done eventually
-Rip in drivers seat side bolster
-AC compressor is blown

Here are the specs, and parts I've put on since I've had it (the past 5 years).

86 tercel SR5 4wd 6-spd silver,
Aftermarket A/C (compressor failed recently, so it doesn't work),
Power Sunroof, Power steering, Tilt, Front map lights,
JVC CD/MP3 player w/ 2 front speakers in stock locations and 2 6x9s in back
Rear cargo cover,
Black 87 vinyl/fabric interior swapped in with sound dampening material added under all carpeted areas,
8k tachometer/ 180km/h speedo,
Intermittent wipers,
H4 headlight enclosures and PIAA bulbs,
Aftermarket fog lamps with PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs and OEM euro fog lamp switch,
14" aluminum Corolla GTS fwd summer alloys w/ 195/60/R14 All Season tires (90% tread),
13" aluminum AL25 winter alloys w/ 155/80/R13 winter tires (90% tread),
Inclinometer from 83 tercel 4wd,
New Accessory belts,
New struts (Gabriel),
New shocks (Monroe Sensatrac),
New clutch kit/resurfaced flywheel,
New rebuilt front axles,
Mobil 1 synthetic oil in engine,
Castrol synthetic oil in transmission,
New weber 32/36 kit from Redline/Weber,
New weber fuel pressure regulator,
New fuel pump,
New fuel filter,
New cap and rotor,
NGK iridium plugs,
New double core radiator and rad hoses,
New thermostat,
New rear sway bar axle bushings,
Custom 1.75" exhaust from the header back w/ a resonator and 'turbo' muffler, no cat converter,
New front brake disks, rebuilt calipers, new flexible brake lines, new brake pads,
New rear brake shoes, cylinders, drums,
New brake lines on rear axle,
New e-brake cables,
New steering rack bellows,
New used gas tank,
430,000 kms on the chassis,
170,xxx kms on new-to-car engine (is in MINT shape)

I'm located in Victoria BC Canada.

Looking for $1200CAD or $1000USD. Or I'll part it out if folks want the parts... If I get the asking price I'll include the factory repair manual, a special wood storage unit/bed that allows a 4'x6' foamy for camping with storage area, and a roof rack.

Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: FS: 86 Tercel 4wd SR5

Post by 4wdchico »

Let me know if you decide to part it out. Looking for a working trans to overhaul.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

4wdchico wrote:Let me know if you decide to part it out. Looking for a working trans to overhaul.
OK, will do. What is it worth to you? It has a very slight grind between 2nd and 3rd. It's been that way for 5 years and hasn't gotten worse though (thanks so the synthetic I think). If you shift nice you don't even feel it. It's really only noticable when shifting at high rpms.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
TercelMonkey
My tercel:: Want to Buy: '85, SR5 4WD wagon

Post by TercelMonkey »

Beautiful car man, I would be very interested in it if it were closer to South Carolina where I am currently living. Any chance you want to road trip to the beautiful south east? :D
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

you will be missed.... anytime you are in oz PM me
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

GTSSportCoupe wrote:
4wdchico wrote:Let me know if you decide to part it out. Looking for a working trans to overhaul.
OK, will do. What is it worth to you? It has a very slight grind between 2nd and 3rd. It's been that way for 5 years and hasn't gotten worse though (thanks so the synthetic I think). If you shift nice you don't even feel it. It's really only noticable when shifting at high rpms.
I'd go $250US providing that I could get shipping that would be reasonable.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

4wdchico wrote:
GTSSportCoupe wrote:
I'd go $250US providing that I could get shipping that would be reasonable.
OK, its yours if I part the car. I should know fairly soon. If I part it, I'll look into shipping options for you. I think there are some cheap options.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Mattel wrote:you will be missed.... anytime you are in oz PM me
Thanks Matt. I definitely will do. I'll probably still hang around the forums too, as tercels are still pretty close to my heart. I might even buy a Corolla Altrac if the right deal comes up. I'm going to miss not having 4wd.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Wow!
You are the oldest member, having joined hours before the next three of April 1, 2004 (none of whom are active)!
icE, the first administrator/Site Developer, joined slightly before you, but he hasn't owned a Tercel since late 2004.
You have certainly contributed a lot!
Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

GTS, you know we have rust free Tercels available for next to nothing over here. I can organise one for your inbound flight and around australia trip anytime.

Your car sounds to good to break for parts, rockers and gaurds can't be to hard to reweld?

Petros has the info on the alltrac. there was another long term member who strayed in that direction.. can't remember who right now.

B.T.W I do remember a Tercel blog from before this site that had tyre tracks all over in two tones of grey and a pic of a red tercel climbing over a log. Was this the previous version of this site?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Mattel wrote: Petros has the info on the alltrac. there was another long term member who strayed in that direction.. can't remember who right now.

B.T.W I do remember a Tercel blog from before this site that had tyre tracks all over in two tones of grey and a pic of a red tercel climbing over a log. Was this the previous version of this site?
I don't mean to get this topic off track. This site originated from a Yahoo Group. Our former administrator icE was kind to setup the forums, (and GTSSportCoupe helped as well) as the original intention was to set up a website, which nearly five years later hasn't been completed. I joined the Yahoo Group and then followed along. icE, GTSSportCoupe, 3AC Power, takza, perhaps a few others, and myself were the original members and it has continued to evolved to what it is now. I look back and I can't believe how fast time has gone by.

Mattel: The site you were referring to was another separate site that disappeared, the original Tercel 4WD website. It had a picture of a SR5 on the main page and then the red Tercel climbing over a log was another page on the site explaining a home-made lift someone had done to a Tercel. This is what I believe you were referring to, am I correct? 3AC Power was the other member who switched over to the Corolla All-Trac.

Actually, I found the picture from the site(brings back all the old memories, I had to dig real deep to find this one!):

2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Wow!
You are the oldest member, having joined hours before the next three of April 1, 2004 (none of whom are active)!
icE, the first administrator/Site Developer, joined slightly before you, but he hasn't owned a Tercel since late 2004.
You have certainly contributed a lot!
Thanks!
Tom M.
Hey Tom, thanks for your kind words. It is amazing how the time has passed since we started these forums with the help of icE. I have really enjoyed meeting fellow tercel enthusiasts here. The car will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm sure I'll continue to peruse the forums, and contribute as I may.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Mattel wrote:GTS, you know we have rust free Tercels available for next to nothing over here. I can organise one for your inbound flight and around australia trip anytime.

Your car sounds to good to break for parts, rockers and gaurds can't be to hard to reweld?

Petros has the info on the alltrac. there was another long term member who strayed in that direction.. can't remember who right now.

Hey Matt, I think I'll just have to take you up on that some day! I'd love to check out the Australian outback in a Tercel 4wd sometime. I'd like to avoid the 45C degree weather though...haha. I'll come in your winter (my summer).

I probably could save my car with some body work, but with a family and house to maintain, time is getting tight, and body work is very time consuming. My poor MR2 needs some attention too, and hasn't even seen the road in a year now. :( Part of the sacrifice of having a family I guess.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

tercel4wdrules wrote:
Mattel wrote: Petros has the info on the alltrac. there was another long term member who strayed in that direction.. can't remember who right now.

I don't mean to get this topic off track. This site originated from a Yahoo Group. Our former administrator icE was kind to setup the forums, (and GTSSportCoupe helped as well) as the original intention was to set up a website, which nearly five years later hasn't been completed. I joined the Yahoo Group and then followed along. icE, GTSSportCoupe, 3AC Power, takza, perhaps a few others, and myself were the original members and it has continued to evolved to what it is now. I look back and I can't believe how fast time has gone by.

Mattel: The site you were referring to was another separate site that disappeared, the original Tercel 4WD website. It had a picture of a SR5 on the main page and then the red Tercel climbing over a log was another page on the site explaining a home-made lift someone had done to a Tercel. This is what I believe you were referring to, am I correct? 3AC Power was the other member who switched over to the Corolla All-Trac.

Actually, I found the picture from the site(brings back all the old memories, I had to dig real deep to find this one!):

Carlos has the history right. Hey Carlos, you want to take over my job as a moderator? :D I havent really had the time to keep on top of it lately, and I'm sure you'd do a good job with Tom and Matt. I can put in a good word with Neu. Hope things are going well with you at school.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Car is sold! Thanks everyone who was interested. It went to a great guy who plans on doing the body work and giving it a lift. He knows about this forum, so hopefully will post his progress.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS