tercel madness at starbucks

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

tercel madness at starbucks

Post by Mac »

so, on Thursday, my friend and I decided to go for a run before we started work, did that, then headed to starbucks for a little morning pick-me-up, I marked my tercel, he parked his X5, and we both headed in.

as we were drinking out coffee, a green tercel 2wd pulled in and parked next to me, made me smile a bit.

10 min later, ANOTHER green tercel, this time a SR5, pulls up. so we had my white tercel, a green 2ed, and a green 4wd SR5, then the BMW X5.

I took a picture with his camera phone, but it was the first time I'd seen a metallic green tercel. the unspoken bond of tercel drivers was alive that day.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I will never forget the night I was driving home from work, and was slowing down to take my exit off the freeway, when a flatbed 1-ton truck came past me in the left lane, horn honking, and a guy hanging out the window pumping his fist in the air......behind the truck was a flat-bed gooseneck ( i think ! ) trailer with a Tercel SR5 Wagon on it (with Ohio tags on the Terc.) !

I didn't see where the truck was from, but often wondered if whoever it was is a member of this forum ! :)
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Sounds like tercel heaven! In our almost 10 years of ownership we have only had 3 terc encounters while out and about. I've even doubled the chances by having two on the road for the past year.

The wife's was kinda funny. A few years ago a guy drove like a madman just to catch up for a wave and a smile. :D
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

For some reason there seems to be alot of tercels on the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island. I keep checking the Vancouver CL to see if there are any decent tercels up for sale.
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

I see lots of Tercel wagons every day here in Colorado, and talk to Tercel owners frequently. Everybody loves these cars!
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

I just met a guy last night that recently picked up a gold 1986 SR5 4WD. I told him about the site. He's been a die hard drifter for years and just bought the Terc for winter driving and has since fallen completely in love with it.

Hopefully he'll be joining up soon and announcing himself as he seemed like a nice enough guy. His poor Terc is riddled with Minnesota cancer like mine was, but it seems in much better structural condition.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I got about 5 Terc 4wds within 1 mile of my inner city pad. Although I'm not sure how many of them are appreciated or even used.

Actually camped next to a German dude and his girlfriend over NYE in Tasmania who had the same colour Terc as mine and surfboards on the roof also. He had 450,000 kms on his and had only just bought it. Perhaps he'll turn up on the forum as I told him about it.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
shonuffisthemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by shonuffisthemaster »

A couple months ago I was at the auto parts store buying parts for my Terc, and explaining to the counter guy that its not the same as the other '87 Tercel's, because they always give me the wrong parts. Anyway he says "oh the 4WD wagon, I had one of those, I used to make money in the winter pulling people out of the ditch with it". So we talked a bit and then I went out to put whatever it was in my car, and another 4wd SR5 pulled up next to me. We started talking and he tells me he loves them and he has three (or was it four?) of them! I forgot to mention the forum though.

Another Tercel moment was when I was living near Seward (in Minneapolis) and walking on the tracks, I spotted five Tercel wagons in a back yard! Later I was talking to my mechanic, who I have known most of my life (and is mainly responsible for my love of old Toyota's), about having trouble finding a door for my wagon, he mentions one of his customers collects them and might be willing to part with a door, I asked if he lived near Seward and it turned out to be the same guy! Apparently he has more stored at other places! I was never able to get a hold of him but I was wondering if he was on the forums here somewhere, since he's obviously an enthusiast.
87 tercel 2d
87 corolla FX
87 Mazda 323
79 Datsun 210
91 ranger
84 F150 300-6
87 T4WD SR5 blue (still have)
81 Tercel SR5 hatch
87 T4WD SR5 red
92 2WD Truck
79 F350 dually flatbed 460 Eddelbrock intake / 750CFM 4bbl (still have)
84 Corolla 4dr (current)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I walk out my door and encounter my 84, 87, 85, and 81 Corolla-Tercel. Does that count?

Every day I drive I see at least 1 T-4wd. My record was 10 T-Wagons, a few 2wd. NOT counting my own, mind you. lol.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew