Front Struts question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Front Struts question

Post by keith »

According to the FSM, the front strut assembly cannot come apart, however, in looking for a new strut assembly, everyone lists cartridges only. The FSM says that by loosening the bug nut at the top of the cartridge (if it is a cartridge) lets the gas out, it is a gas strut.

The car was built May 86. The strut diameter is slightly over 1.75". Do I go for it and undo the bolt?

A couple of you keep referring to the 1.75" ones as "rebuildable". Do you mean they can take a new cartridge or you take them apart, put in new seals and oil?

BTW, I have searched through all posts relating to the front struts and I think it only made me more confused, since it doesn't tally with the FSM.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Front Struts question

Post by ARCHINSTL »

keith wrote:According to the FSM, the front strut assembly cannot come apart,...BTW, I have searched through all posts relating to the front struts and I think it only made me more confused, since it doesn't tally with the FSM.
Ditto for me - I will be replacing my struts and springs this Summer - and am glad someone else is as confused as I am about this. Mine is also an '86, albeit built in October of '85.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Patience isn't one of my strong suites. I took it apart.

This looks like one I would define as rebuild-able, that is new seals and new oil. It is supposed to have a gas charge but I guess that leaked out a long time ago, I didn't hear any hissing when I undid the retainer. If I can put in a cartridge, I plan on using either a Monroe sensatrac or a KYB GR-2 cartridge. I'm leaning to the KYB at the moment.

coltarms, Is this what yours looked like inside? Can I put a cartridge in this now?

Anyone else, does this look familiar? What did you do?

I guess she'll be looking like this for awhile.

BTW, this didn't start out as a strut project, I was going to put in the EMPI axle, when I undid the strut bolts on the hub, the strut fell out, broken upper mount. See jammin1911's post on Wheel Bearing disaster post below (or above if anyone else responds to it).
Last edited by keith on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mailman
Advanced Member

Post by mailman »

come on where are all the regulars. Tis is something i'll be doing also. the mailman
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

you can rebuild them or put in a set of cartriges, remove the gland nut at the top of the strut and do as you will.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
mailman
Advanced Member

Post by mailman »

so a cartrdge and good to go? or a complete assembly
the mailman
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

cartridge is all you need, i haven't found a complete assembly.
mailman
Advanced Member

Post by mailman »

Thanks. will let the mechanic(son) know. the Mailman
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Any opinions on the Monroe vs. KYB? KYB makes the OEM strut.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Throw in Gabriel for opinions.
These 3 brands seem to be the most prevalent, at least in North America.
Effectiveness [at least on-road (I'm realistic...)] - longevity - ease of installation - any other pertinent comments ?

The pricing on all seems relatively similar; O'Reilly has a slight edge over AutoZone for Gabriel - Advance and NAPA have close pricing. I'm talking cartridges, mounts, and cushions.
Any opinions on springs? Again, for street usage.
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

me personally, i'd go for the GR-2's
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Gabriel is out of the question for me. The last three set I've bought have been disappointing, and that is being euphemistic. I'm leaning to the GR2's but I can get the Monroe's faster and less expensive. Right now they are on sale at Advance.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My Sensa-Tracs work great... For the first 500 miles or so. Then my bad coils combine with my lack of bump-stops to punch the valving out and get me back where I started. Thank you Advance for free replacement! I'm on set 3. I'll wait to put in more for when I can get new springs and a bumpstop.

My Sensa-Trac shocks in the rear have held up fantastically for the past 30k or so. When I get new springs I might try to finagle some new ones though.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Typrus, were your sensa-tracs cartridges that you put in the original strut cavity? Did your struts look like mine when you started?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

With my '83...there is no cartridge...and the diameter of the strut tube as measured on the outside is different. Couldn't find a cartridge to fit...so I filled the one I had apart with Mobil synth ATF and reassembled it.

Some claim to have found whole rebuilt assemblies...spring perch, cartridge, and tube.

I did determine that there were at least 2 different strut tube ODs...larger diameter = the cartridge type?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...