Photos of head job (56k no)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
skullone

Photos of head job (56k no)

Post by skullone »

Heres some pictures of the head gasket job Tony and I did to my Tercel.

And my cat doing ... something

Current Cars:
2006 Mazda3 GT fully loaded - love it
1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD - new to me!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Two things I'm wondering about:

What did you use to clean up the head and block surfaces in a way that you helped the surfacing issue...as in keeping them FLAT?

Looks like the rings in that rear cylinder at least...might be pretty gunked up...did you try to free them up using solvents or ?

Not criticizing...just trying the advance the science (we think?) of T4WD repair. :lol:

Nice cat...lethal claws.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I don't think that engine has heard of a regular oil change from before you got it... Gummy as sin...

GOD thats clean.. How?? I struggled to get the pistons that clean OUTSIDE of the block!

Maine Coon? Big kitty. He/she's stretching out the abdominal muscles. Or just chilling.
I have 9. Lol.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
mailman
Advanced Member

Post by mailman »

is that the complete number showing on the oil filter. Looks huge. Is the car back in running order now. The Mailman
skullone

Post by skullone »

Takza;
I might have done some things wrong. First time I've pulled a head off a car ever. But the tool that we used to clean the gasket material off was actualy made of rubber.
It was a 3M tool, you can find it in another post of mine. It's essential a rubber disc, with a lot of soft bristles on it. You spin it at low RPM with a drill, and it just takes off the gasket material with no hassle at all. It doesn't remove any aluminum either, just makes those swirl marks, which are absolutely smooth to the touch.
The gasket material just flakes off, and the rubber bristles break off if they encounter too much resistance, so theres no real chance at all of damaging anything.
And we used a lot of solvent to clean everything. Probably went through a whole can of carb cleaner on everything.
Dont worry about criticizing, I'm sure we couldve done things better/different,.

Typrus;
I dont think it had regular maintanance during the time the previous guy owned it. But the person before has detailed logs of all the maintanance, so at least during 1 point in its life, it was taken care of.
And yes, shes a Maine Coon cat, her name is Nermal
Shes a really aggressive cat, and a polydactyl too (7 toes on each hand)
I love maine coon cats, theyre just crazy and out of control, so much personality... other cats bore me, theyre too "normal"

Mailman;
I dont know the whole part number. Could very well be the wrong oil filter, came on the car when I bought it.
Current Cars:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

XLNT and AMAZING cleaning job! What was your source and cost for the 3M tool?
How did you keep stuff out of the various openings of the block? Then you vacuumed it with a shop vac with no trepidation?

Maine Coon - I've been thinking about one for a few years. I've always been a dog person, but in my dotage, I've wearied
of the maintenance required. My grown daughters are cat people, and I'm convinced of cats' practicality (what a romantic, huh?)
and accept the, uhhh, different affection they exhibit compared to a dog. Anyway, what are the pros and cons of a Maine Coon
versus "regular" cats? I like their size and have been told that they are the breed "closest" to a dog in temperament and
other traits. You can PM me - Thanks!
Typrus - you have 9 Coons? That's an investment!

Tom M.
PS: Good photos as well!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

ARCHINSTL wrote:XLNT and AMAZING cleaning job! What was your source and cost for the 3M tool?
I found it at Autozone. The brush part cost around $5, and then the attachment to put it in a drill chuck was another $5. Worked pretty well for me too, when I was doing my water pump. :)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
skullone

Post by skullone »

I found the 3M tool at Autozone, mixed in with unrelated buffing pads, abrasive discs, etc. The guy at Autozone recommended it when I found it, saying it make quick work of the gasket - which it did.
As for making sure flakes didnt go into the block ... we didnt do that. I'm sure some stuff went into the passege ways and stuff... oh well
I did a oil change after driving it for 100 miles or so, and a cooland flush (filled with water initialy, drove that 100 miles). Took it to Oil Can Henrys to do the flush, since they have that pump thing that cycle the fluids all the way out from everywhere. Now its got fresh oil, filter, and coolant.

As for the cat, uhm.. how can I say this.. my cat probably isn't typical maine coon. Shes prettyy aggressive, usualy in a bad mood, she'll fight with you while your petting her, then start purring, then just growl and hiss at you, then walk away. Then, 5 minutes later, she'll be happy, and sit on your lap.
Books describe them way differently than she behaves.
But she was a rescued cat. We got her from the pound at like 2 months old, she was abandoned in a crate dumped off at a vet's office, who took the whole batch to the humane society, then our neighbor who placed animals with owners hooked us up with her.
We love her to death, even though she brakes plates, glasses, knocks anything down she can from tables and counters. She will also sit under water sprinklers, never minding the water, then come inside and shake water all over the place just to spite us.
But we wouldnt have it any other way, shes an awesome cat that does whatever she wants, to whomever she wants, at all times.
Normal cats to me, are boring and dont have personality. They'll be petted, play with a string toy, and look nice.
This maine coon is just ... random, and awesome
Current Cars:
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

A Fram or Supertech 3614 filter is pretty good sized and fits.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

No, not 9 Coons. I don't have thousands of $$ put into cats... lol. They were all free and are as mutty as they come. But most of them are freaking awesome, in a cat way. We have 2 that are dull (except Gato <yes thats his name> has DEEP blue eyes. Kind of eerie. Patches is an old kitty who is incredibly affectionate, and kind of a blob. After 12 litters of kittens, who wouldn't be? PJ is a big fat blob of a cat, but is also quite loving. He gets so into the petting he'll drool everywhere. Slightly nasty, but funny at the same time. Wookie and Coony are twin sisters, both long-hair and undersized. They are full-grown, but appear to be a few months old. But they are tough, regardless. Less personable, but still nice to have around. Spot is a calico MALE who came to us, unfortunately neutered. Sucks, as that could have been a major jack-pot. He never comes inside.
Sobie is my fat tripod-kitty (he was born with one back leg backwards, and had to have it amputated). If you don't feed him when he wants it, play with him when he wants it, or just give him attention, he'll shred you. Its wise to listen to Sobie. lol.
Max is my skinny spastic black cat. He's your average hyper kitty, except for one VERY odd thing. If I sit still too long on the couch, he'll come and start grooming my hair. Nice cat, weird habit.
Tigger is our super-kitty. A tough Tom, weighing in at 21lbs of muscle. We dunno if he has Coon in him or not. He's so strong, he will actually wind you if he's laying on your chest and decides to jump up hard. He's Polydactyl as well. He fights the other cats a lot, and I have to keep treating his absesses (yes, he'll get hurt badly enough it'll absess... smells horrible and makes you feel bad to have to clean) to keep him fit, but he's VERY affectionate to myself and my father. Doesn't like my sisters much.

Yeah.... That has nothing to do with gasket removal....
I'll have to try and buy one of those.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tonythayer

Post by tonythayer »

The 3M scrubber thing worked great on the block, but I was nervous about using it on the pistons so I used tons and tons of carb cleaner and some medium and fine metal scouring brushes and a small screwdriver to break up the heavy carbon deposits buried in the creases. We haven't tested compression yet, but it seems to have enough power. We were all set to do the headgasket on mine, but my compression tested 1-4 180, 180, 175, and 180 so I don't think mine will need to be done for a while.
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

is that the complete number showing on the oil filter. Looks huge.
A cross reference check on the Fram site for 2858 gives only one possibility (considering the ...ecurity that also can be seen on the filter). Has to be a Security1 filter # SO-2858 which crosses to a Fram PH2951, etc., etc.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

2951 little, 3614 big, both fit.