Rear Brake Drum Pads/Cylindars

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Rear Brake Drum Pads/Cylindars

Post by jammin1911 »

I was getting my oil changed the other week at a local shop they do a small 21-point (or whatever) inspection and they noticed my rear brakes were in pretty rough shape.

Now, I don't know squat about drum brakes, but apparently they have what I assume are little hydraulic cylinders? Anyway, the guy showed me that my pads were really thing (they were not much more than 1mm) and that the cylinders on both sides were leaking.

I'd like to "re-do" all of this mess to clean it up and replace these "cylinders" and the pads and anything else that could probably use replacing after 200,000 kilometers.

Are these parts something that I should be able to find from Summit? Maybe someone could point me in the right direction as far as a kit or some part numbers goes?

Any advice on how to go about this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I just had the cylinders replaced in July, one was leaking and causing the shoes to "drag" on the left rear side. I don't remember what brand they were, but they were made in Italy and not that expensive, not more than $40 for the pair. Pep-Boys gave me the wrong cylinders so I went to another auto parts store and I got the aforementioned. For the shoes I bought the Raybestos P/N: 530PG. Now would be a good time to flush out the brake system.

I would replace the c-clips while in there as well... there's a kit from Raybestos that comes with this and the springs if I recall correctly.

It would also be a good idea to replace the drums as well, but they are a little on the expensive side so I just had them turned, but I will replace them when I have the $$$.

Hope this helps...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

This definitely helps, thanks a million for the quick response!

Did you replace the cylinders yourself? I didn't look at them for long enough to try to figure what was involved in replacing them. If I replace everything is it a pretty straight forwards DIY job?
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

You might want to check your real axle seals while you're in there, too. I had a failure on one a few months back. It's not that hard to replace, with the proper tools. If I saw any leakage at all, I'd pull 'em out and put some new ones in.

Brakes aren't that bad, just be sure you get everything back in there in the proper sequence. Somewhere along the way, I messed up my parking brake, and I haven't had time to get back in and figure it out yet.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I got them at AutoZone for $10.75 each. They aren't hard to replace, but the shoes are. The adjusters/parking brake is really cumbersome. You need those one man bleeder kits as well, about $6.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

all that stuff is dirt cheap.

what you want to get is new rear wheel cylinders, shoes, a hardware kit and self ajusters.

replace it all, all the parts are cheap and its worth it to change them.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

jammin1911 wrote:This definitely helps, thanks a million for the quick response!

Did you replace the cylinders yourself? I didn't look at them for long enough to try to figure what was involved in replacing them. If I replace everything is it a pretty straight forwards DIY job?

You're welcome! I wanted to do it myself, but ended up paying some guys to do it ($110). The removal is the easy part, but the installation can be difficult when assembling the shoes and adjusting the brakes upon the final stages of the installation just as keith mentioned.

The brakes were bled with the old fluid being drained out of the two, but they skipped bleeding the front ones. To bleed them you need at least two people, three being better so that one operates the pedal, the other opens the bleeder, and one checks the fluid level and adds fluid as necessary.

The rear brakes work fine now and the fluid is much cleaner in the reservoir. The old ones had quite a bit of miles and were glazed.

You will have to decide whether or not you will embark on this irksome task.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

jammin 1911 -
I did a full job, short of the metal lines, in 2006, and following are my costs:
SUPPLIES:...Total $21.
Full tube of high-temp grease_________7.99
Teflon tape for bleeders-essential-_____1.49
2 quarts of brake fluid (I bled a lot)____8.58...old fluid black and kinda viscous
Brake cleaner spray________________2.99
TOOLS:...Total $5
The only special tool I bought was a 10-12mm flare
nut wrench, which should be regarded as essential_____$4.99
LABOR:...Total $30
Local shop to turn drums______$30
Installing and cursing (moi)____$ priceless
PARTS:...Total $233
Brake spring kit Rear_____16.99.....PITA to install, but do-able.
Wheel cylinders .."_______19.98
Brake shoes ......."_______12.49
Brake hoses rear_________15.98
Brake hoses front________27.98
Brake rotors front________25.92
Brake calipers " loaded___113.92...Unloaded calipers (or just the pads) would be a lot cheaper, ________________________________though.
TOTAL COST: $289 USD

I did not have to replace the MC or steel lines; the latter were not rusty at all, Goldie being an original TN car. Rust-belt states' cars seem to have a different situation, though. I recently ('07) replaced all on an '88 Mitsu p'up, and it was a total PITA, while definitely necessary.

Rotors and calipers were from Advance and all other items were from Autozone; all from actual stores - not online. All parts new, save the calipers and rear shoes, which were reman. All parts were "OE" type; no "upgrades."
I did the (tedious) bleeding solo, with a MityVac, which is of course handy for vac work.

Out of curiousity, I had gotten prices from various brake shops and Midas for the same work of $900 +/- ! ! !
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

Awesome!

You guys are the best haha

Arch, what is "brake spring kit rear" ?
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

Disregard that, I see what it is now :)

I just faxed a very slightly revised version of your list to a local parts supplier for quotes. Thanks again!
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

Here is the quote I got on these parts. Keep in mind this is Canadian dollars but even still considering that, the prices are not nearly as good as what you paid :)

Also, I threw the suspension in there to see what he would say and he quoted me on REAR SPRINGS!. I called to confirm these and he said they are 100% listed as 1986 Tercel Wagon 4x4. Does this seem sketchy to anyone else?

- BRAKES
o FRONT Pads (Disc) – 46 (both wheels)
o FRONT Brake Rotors – 23/each
o FRONT Brake Hoses – 22/each
o REAR Shoes (Drum) – 35 (both wheels)
o REAR Brake Drum Cylinders – 35/each
o REAR Brake Hoses – 22/each
o REAR Brake Springs (Kit) – 34 (both wheels)

- SUSPENSION
o FRONT Shocks – KYB 73/each (monotube)
o FRONT Springs – moog 136 (both)
o REAR Shocks – KYB 41/each
o REAR Springs – moog 150 (both)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

These prices seem high to me, even given the exchange rate. Was this at a regular parts house or a chain? I suppose another Canadian member can advise about the prices, though. My prices, obviously, were for sets/pairs. I also reused the MC - forgot to mention that.
Are you close enough to the border to drive over and get them in the USA? Check the AZ/ADV prices online. Note that usually a lot of the parts will have to be ordered from the store's supplier; most of mine, save for the shoes and springs, were in that category, so it was not a drive-over and collect immediately situation.

NOTE on the rear springs - you seem to be the only person who has come up with new rears! Please get the MOOG part number! If you decide to order them, I would check with MOOG's site first/call it to verify this is correct for the T4WD...
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I did the rears last year so I don't remember all the prices, although I did the rear cylinders the year before due to a leak. I do remember paying about $5/kit, but both bleeder valves broke off and cound not be gotten out with an easyout, ended up buying new wheel cylinders for about $10 and change each.

Just did the fronts this weekend.

Synthetic brake fluid, 2 qts @ $5.99 ea.
Brake rotors, 2 @ $10.99 ea.
Bushing seal kit $8.99
Ceramic pads $37.99
Caliper kits 2 @ $2.99 ea.
Reman master cylinder $34.99
Brake hose $13.99
Reman caliper $58.99
One man bleeder kits 2 @ $5.99 ea
silicone grease packs 4@ $.99

I wasn't planning on replacing the master cylinder, but as I was finishing up the bleeding, I suddenly had brake failure. I could not bleed the DS front caliper. I thought it might be the caliper as the piston was badly rusted. Just to be sure, I ordered the Master cylinder just in case. Good thing too because it wasn't the caliper, it was the Master cylinder. It picked a good time to fail, while on blocks instead of the freeway.

BTW, the calipers are real easy to rebuild on this car. Not like some I've done where I'd rather take an asswhooping instead.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

keith wrote:BTW, the calipers are real easy to rebuild on this car. Not like some I've done where I'd rather take an asswhooping instead.
The last caliper I tried rebuilding was real easy till you got to the part where you had to get the piston dust cover/boot to stay in place.

The sliders are an area you need to check with these calipers...espec when the rubber boots leak.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

ARCHINSTL wrote:These prices seem high to me, even given the exchange rate. Was this at a regular parts house or a chain? I suppose another Canadian member can advise about the prices, though. My prices, obviouisly, were for sets/pairs. I also reused the MC - forgot to mention that.
Are you close enough to the border to drive over and get them in the USA? Check the AZ/ADV prices online. Note that usually a lot of the parts will have to be ordered from the store's supplier; most of mine, save for the shoes and springs, were in that category, so it was not a drive-over and collect immediately situation.

NOTE on the rear springs - you seem to be the only person who has come up with new rears! Please get the MOOG part number! If you decide to order them, I would check with MOOG's site first/call it to verify this is correct for the T4WD...
Tom M.
I'm about 1.5 hours from Buffalo. I was thinking about just calling up Summit racing to see if they could get all of this stuff for me.

They don't offer free shipping to Canada but they claim they just charge whatever UPS charges them. The problem is that UPS charges ridiculous border fees, some of which are flat fees so since this isn't a whole lot of money I might end up paying more going that route.

Maybe someone in the US wants to be a nice guy and let me ship some parts from Summit to them and then they could ship with USPS to me? :)

//edit// apparently USPS *is* an option from summit! They charge an $11 USD fee on any canadian orders, but thats not a huge deal I don't think. This way I can order some KYB's as well - the savings there alone should offset the extra costs heh. Now the hard part - actually finding all of these silly little parts like spring kits on the summit site.. *sigh*