Faulty Fuel Filler Flap - HELP !

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Faulty Fuel Filler Flap - HELP !

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I attempted a fill-up at my local station tonight and the fuel filler door would not open.
Neither of the keys would open the lock. It would not turn in either direction, although the keys inserted fully.
Fortunately, I was only a couple of miles from home and there are still at least a couple of gallons left (I think).
It's not freezing out and I did use PB Blaster in an attempt, and none of my 4 extra keys of various ages would work. The flap moves slightly, and I can feel no sticking of the door itself.
There has never been a hint of reluctance before.
Neither the OM nor the FSM suggest a fix. And I do not think there is a way to open from inside the body - at least not one I can discover.
I searched here, ToyotaNation, and TercelOnline to no avail.
Any suggestions?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ESI-RStarion
Top Notch Member

Post by ESI-RStarion »

I doubt theres any way around it without brute force, my terc came without keys for any of the doors, the guy before me just bent the door so you could get your fingers behind it to pop it open
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've never had a problem with the key on that door...maybe someone wanted your gas?

Maybe a wide flat prybar used right where the catch is would do the least damage. Some tape might protect the paint some.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

That is weird, Arch.....I can't figure why the lock would just freeze up like that. How is it this morning after the PB has been in it all night ? My experience with door locks is that they will become hard to turn, and when that starts happening, I'll shoot some graphite in there to lubricate the "innards".

It could be a case of vandalism, but with the keys fully inserting it doesn't sound like anything was jammed down into the lock core.

Seems like I had some trouble out of the MR2 fuel door, but if I remember correctly, it's controlled by a cable release from inside the passenger compartment.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I know you said it wasn't freezing, but ice could be in there if it had been freezing or it was close to freezing and you have been driving it (wind chill). I have uses antifreeze in frozen locks, it usually works, but if the ice had formed on the linkage, it wont help, only heat and time.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Not only ice can be free'd up by heat. Sticky gunk can too. Try to hit it with a hair dryer for a while. I wouldn't recommend a heat gun as I've seen them used for paint removal, which isn't likely something you want. If it is a small amount of ice bridging the rubber slider and the catch, then it'll melt off an it'll open. If its some grime, it'll loosen up and give you a chance to get in there and clean it off.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Boy, do I feel like a DORK !
Problem solved...
It was quite a bit warmer today (43F), so I tried it again - it opened almost just fine!
It turned out that the "gas trough" I had installed to channel any overflow away from the trim I had painted a few months ago (see below) had become stiff from the cold and was kinda blocking/jamming the little V-shaped latch from opening. It is odd that this has not happened before during the Winter, but I guess I just repositioned it oddly after the last fill-up.

I fashioned the chute after several episodes with gas gushing out at the end of a fill. I've noticed that this seems common with the T4WD, at least judging from some of the pix of staining I've seen. The '83 did not have this problem, as I recall. The stains were quite severe (almost down to the primer), but I was able to polish out most of them.
The Liner is available at most home products stores. I also bought some of the tan color to use to make new shifter boots.

ANYway, THANKS for the help and suggestions - incidentally, the TOY parts place in the NWST has the lock - at $36 ! I think I'll look at some alternate method of opening - maybe....
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

ARCHINSTL, there is an alternate method of filling your tank, if you're up to it (pun intended? :wink: ) . I grew up in a local corner store and we also had two gas pumps and sold engine oil, had air, etc. When I was old enough I had to do my share, and one of the jobs was to fill up, check under the hood, wash the windows, etc., when people came to gas up. There were no automatic nozzles back in those days (1950's) so the trick was to have one ear close to the fill area and carefully listen for the very distinct change in sound when the tank was getting close to full and the fuel was just starting to come up the fill nozzle from the tank. Still do it today. Done correctly, no spills ever. Not to say that I didn't have a few spills while I was learning the proper technique...