Moots Tercels

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Moots Tercels

Post by MootsMan »

Here's some pics of my wagons, guys. The dk. blue 86 is my daily driver now, I bought it from the original owner a couple years ago, and it sat in the yard waiting on transmission repair for most of that time....it's been on the road now for about 3mos....currently has 178K miles on it, has a solid body with no rust, but it does need a paint job. I'm hoping to do this one in olive drab when I get enough time to tackle a project of that magnitude, but changing the color will entail taking everything out from the interior, including the glass, weatherstrip, etc. I installed the sunroof and map lights, just like I had done in the gold '85. I also put in a Pioneer CD player, and the SR5 instrument cluster and a new shifter boot. Needless to say, there's a lot more that needs to be done, but it's a good driveable car for now. It's just developed some kind of exhaust leak, but will wait 'til the weather warms up to fix that.

The bike on the roof rack is my Colnago CT-2....it increases the value of the car by a factor of 5 or 6 :lol:

Here's the collection.......wife is beginning to complain whenever I say anything about another one...:lol:

1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

When you drive the Blue with the Colnago on top - do you have a separate rider (heh) on the insurance policy to cover it? Otherwise...
Tom M.
PS: Love that huge garage!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

VERY nice Tercels Moots! Is the blue one the same colour as mine? Im on my PSP so I can't be sure. Kinda looks darker to me. Ether way, great collection!
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Your's looks like a different shade of blue, DCN, maybe a little lighter. Mine is fairly dark, what I'd call navy blue. I wish it was an SR5, but I've been slowly trying to make the upgrades that will make it more user-friendly.

Arch, I've found out the hard way that homeowners ins. will cover the bikes when on top or inside of the car. I've had to make a claim on a friend's bike that was on my roof ( I was going to do him a favor and tune-up his bike for him, ran it into that big steel I-beam you can see supporting my deck, he ended up getting full retail out of his bike and replacing it with a much nicer one), and on a Serotta that was stolen from the back of my gold Tercel while parked behind the bike store where I work part-time ( I replaced it with the Colnago)

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

(grumbles in jealousy) Now just add a metallic flake to it and some artistic neon green undertone pinstriping of electrical fire....
Nice. Your garage looks nicer than mine... But I have more stuff 8) lol

My "garage" has a...
96 Geo Metro (dead tranny)
86 Tercel 4wd (we all know what happened :cry: )
87 Tercel 4wd (needs a tranny swap and some other work)
99.5 F-250 (we're trying to see if its the Injector Control Module or the HPOP....)
81 Yamaha Virago 750 V-twin (carbs need rebuilding and the ignition module needs replacing)

So those are the deadies.
96 VW Passat TDI (WHOOSH!)
02 Ford Excursion (Sootster Leviathan)
81 Corolla Tercel (I have no idea how its still alive)
01 Honda Magna V-4 750cc quad-carbed street bike (I swear Honda stuffed V-Tech in this engine and never told anyone... The power surge at 7k RPM is AMAZING! Pulls hard to 9700 RPM red...)

And of course.... 84 Tercel 4wd. Shes fighting her way through it all.

I should get pics. Lol.

BTW, my dad would have a fit. His road bike is a Trek 520. Its probably as old if not older than me. It likely has over 20k miles on its clock. No joke. He used to ride cross-country, now he just rides to work (20+ miles each way, over Horsetooth... AKA Hilled Hell) when he feels like it.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

It's the running joke among all of us that work at the bike store that our bicycles are way more valuable than our vehicles......that's the beauty of driving an "economical" car, it frees up more capital for the really important things... :D

Good for your dad for commuting on his bike, Typrus !! 5yrs ago, I was riding a LOT of miles every week (as in 200-250), and I would try to ride in to the store one day a week.....28-30 miles each way, depending on my route. The ride in the morning wasn't so bad, but coming back home, after working 10am-7pm, on my feet most all day, was a real bear !! Several of those nights I rolled in at the house under cover of darkness !

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Nice cars Moots! I'm jealous of your rust free cars! Well, I guess at least my MR2 is rust free... My poor tercel is pretty bad though.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Very nice cars, Mootsman!! Thanks for posting the pictures. Your '86 daily driver looks much better than mine does. Is that other Tercel 4WD in the far left corner of the last picture the "spare" '84 Tercel? That's quite a collection of cars you have there. I hope I'll be joining your club with 3+ Tercels in a few years. I guess I'll need a house with a big garage or a spacious backyard to keep them, maybe even have the garage "shop equipped" to keep them running. I sure have some plans...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

If I have to leave my GT in my car unattended I lock it up to the hoops that those rear seats click into when folded up.. so far.. so good I make it really obvious so that no one has to break into see it's secured. Also leave all my crap strewen around so they can see that I'm not hiding anything :wink:
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

MootsMan wrote:Your's looks like a different shade of blue, DCN, maybe a little lighter. Mine is fairly dark, what I'd call navy blue.
Oh yeah, now that I'm on my regular monitor I can see it's a lot darker. PSPs have a funny screen that can change the colours slightly depending on viewing angle. It was hard to tell that last night, but mine's a lot lighter. Is yours an original paint job or colour?

My bro also has a job at a bike shop, he's got a *spits* (j/k) Nissan Sentra that would be worth less than some of the bikes there. He just bought a light that costs $700 MSRP. I would have thought that a crazy expensive light was worth maybe 200, but apparently there are some that are even more!

BTW, sorry for not posting a pic of my car to compare yours to, like I said I had a little limited internet. PSPs are good in a jam for just browsing the net, but they're not as good as a PC.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Nice tercels too. I am envious of all the sunroofs (sunrooves?, what is the plural anyways?).

What is that black light by your rearview mirror. I am going to put some map lights and that looks like it would do nicely. Where did you get it?
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Thanks ! The light unit is one I picked up at the local Pull-A-Part....I think it came out of a Mitsubishi of some kind, or maybe a Mazda. It's not the most solid installation, as it's mostly just forced up into the headliner. I tried industrial strength double stick tape on the back, but it doesn't hold. The map light unit from an early-to-mid 80's Cressida works great , too, as I've installed one of those in the gold car. I like this one because it has the dome lamp integrated, which is nice. I posted a write-up on an earlier installation somewhere on here.....a couple of years back !

Most of the sunroofs I've snagged at the junkyard have come out of Mitsubishi's as well. They're all aftermarket-type, so they're real easy to "de-install" and then "re-install". My yard charges around $25-30 for one, which isn't too bad, as long as you pick out one that looks pretty decent. I always try to check the weatherstrip to make sure it isn't dry-rotted, and check to see how the seal is when it's closed. Takes about 2-3 hours to install one. I'm planning on installing a second one above the rear seats when the weather improves.

Tercel4wdrules, that is the '84 spare parts car in the background.....but I've about decided not to part it out, as it runs great and starts without a glitch every time, even in the coldest weather. I should be able to get enough suspension parts to fix the front-end clunking for not too much money, then as I get time, I'm planning on making it my "classroom" for body repair and modification.....since it has major rust in the rockerpanel area. It appears to have a solid undercarriage, but the body definitely needs some help.

If I made pictures up close of the '86, you guys could see how bad the paint really is.....the hood is faded and splotched all over, and there are numerous scratches down both sides, and you can see how the clear coat has disintegrated on the roof. It's on the "to-do" list, just not at the highest priority right now. :)