I'm So Screwed

Post here about...well...anything!
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Ahh ye beat me to the cerimonial dress stuff GTS, dang. I just got a ticket in the Terc last fall, 80 in a 50. 2 points out of 6 gone, $225 fine. And like Typrus it was the other guy (a Civic, which I hate [Eibach stickers DON'T add HP!!]) Ooooh, I've got A-pillar gauges, I can't possible ever use my turn signal, too much power to control, gotta concentrate on that only!

Anyway, I was trying to speed up suddenly so that the Civic to my left would have to stop behind a truck that was in the left turning/straight lane. I was in the right lane and just KNEW the Civic would whip over to the right to avoid being stuck behind a turning truck. Anyway, The cop got me. Knew it was my fault and felt like an idiot. It sucks Typ, we feel your pain.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

alot of very good points raised in this thread, cops should deffinatley go after unsafe vehichles before they go after someone going 10 over the speed limit.

another this is people who drive slow, but don't pay attention. case in point, some asshat was driving in vancouver 10KM/H under the speed limit, backed up some traffic, as soon as it wen't to two lanes, I wen't to pass but up ahread someone was using the crosswalk. Natually I stop but Mrs."slow and safe" almost ran the person over! they missed them by about a 1/4 car length! they are the ones deserving the tickets. I know i speed, but at least i'm paying attention to where I'm going which makes me safer than 90% of the other drivers which are usually doing the limit.

The comment about "snitches" (why not just call them spys, as they are basically spying on citizens) on cell phones reminded me of another gripe i have is undercover cars pulling over people for speeding. I see this as something of a "Secret Police" tactic which you would expect from something like the the Nazi's or the USSR had.
If the police wanted people to follow the rules and not speed (prevention), they would make themselves visible by driving marked vehichles, by doing this it informs motorists that police are on the road and your chances of breaking the rules and getting away with it aren't likeley.
When the used unmarked cars, it seems to me they want to lure people into a false sence of security of thinking the police are not on the road so they can catch them in the act of speeding and ticket them.

If police used marked cars and prevented speeding, ticket revenue would be quite low, but by using unmarked cars and allowing speeding to happen, they are able to ticket motorists who are unaware of their presence.

IMO, unmarked cars are a dirty tactic to use on your citizens, probably not very constitutional either. I think they should only be used only for the purpose of investigations.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Check this info out...real pleasant reading....but then knowledge is power?

http://www.rich-essence.com/

http://www.rich-essence.com/TheHiddenEvil.pdf

http://www.raven1.net/
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I think someone is not taking their meds.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I was trying to speed up suddenly so that the Civic to my left would have to stop behind a truck that was in the left turning/straight lane.
Sorry dude, I feel for Typrus, but you deserved your ticket. Live and let live, or live and let die if they are stupid enough. If someone wants to pass me, I say go ahead brother, there's a speeding ticket down the road with my name on it, but your welcome to it if you like. On one night, driving through North Carolina, three people passed me, all three got tickets within minutes of going by. I never lost sight of any of them from the time they passed until they got pulled over. In all three cases, they were only going a couple of mph faster than I was. I can't count the number of times that has happened. One time I had a trooper on my tail, blue lights on when I was doing 75 in a 45 construction zone, he went around to get the vehicle that had passed and cut me off where the road had merged for the construction zone.

Of course, with my record, there hasn't always been a faster driver around. Once a cop asked me if I knew why had was being pulled over, I answered with "because I couldn't find a slow moving farm implement to hold me up when I really needed it", he didn't get it until he was almost done writing the ticket. He cut some of the speed off for me though.

I know I shouldn't be encouraging anyone to speed, I'm sure some of your dad's would be upset with me, and I don't really mean to encourage it, but I do think the emphasis is too much on speeding and not enough on more dangerous activities like running red lights and stop signs. I think the fines are a little too stiff for minor speed infractions, but I have to admit that 130 in a 65 was way over the top. Fortunately for me, my several triple digit speed infractions occurred way back when traffic wasn't so heavy and cops and judges were more tolerant.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I have a friend who's year-old Corolla S was T-'d because some jackass ran a red and hit her. He didn't get his license yanked as far as I'm aware. Just an insurance hike and a slap on the hand.

Its true, there have been times I've had to get my rotors likely red-hot for deer or other potential dangers in the mountains, but I see them. I've seen people doing the limit or a little under plow right into a deer that was in the middle of the road for nearly a minute BEFORE they rolled along. I pity the deer.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Your friend got hit by someone who had insurance, boy was (s)he lucky. My daughter got hit by a woman on a suspended license, no insurance who ran a red light. The judge actually gave the b er woman her license back so she wouldn't have to do jail time. I've heard statistics that 2/3rd of Memphis drivers do not have insurance. Thats why I stay in "the county north of Memphis" John Grishom in "The Rainmaker"
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

that rich essence website is over the top. 5 houses got renos around his area to harras him. 5 renos? thats thousands of dollars right there. and for what? theres just no motive to spend that much money.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Man, this really sucks, I'm sorry to hear this. I bet that cop pulled you over because he knew if he chased the other cars, he wouldn’t of have been able to keep up. I haven’t even started driving yet, and I’m already scared of speeding. I thought the Tercel was slow, but it is possible to get a fair amount of steam rolling from the little 3A-C. I let my friend drive my car and he was doing about 60 mph in a 40 zone and I was not happy, I was like, “Hey, slow the heck down!!!â€
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I heard but can't say by experience, that when you might be facing the high risk insurance rates...it's a good idea to pay for a lawyer up front...you might be able to avoid the worst of it...cheaper in the long run?

The links I posted are for information only. Some of it might be hard to beleive for sure. Your call. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I bet that cop pulled you over because he knew if he chased the other cars, he wouldn’t of have been able to keep up.
That reminds me of a woman who got pulled over by a cop who asked if she knew why she was getting pulled over, she replied "Because you couldn't catch the others?"

I've noticed that they don't ask that question anymore. Now they ask if you know how fast you were going. They do this because it becomes evidence against you if you fight it.[/quote]
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

keith wrote:
I think someone is not taking their meds.

Those previously in the military have at one time placed themselves in a kind of voluntary Stockholm Syndrome situation...where they have tended to indentify with their captors.

This is similar to a being a member of a cult?

There is still hope for people like yourself...do not despair. You CAN be normal again. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_counseling

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Those previously in the military have at one time placed themselves in a kind of voluntary Stockholm Syndrome situation...where they have tended to identify with their captors.
At the risk of sounding a bit sensitive here, I never identified with my captors and I never had to be deprogrammed when I retired. The only thing that I had to deal with in retirement is the misperceptions that people have of the military.

After Vietnam, the military went all volunteer and downsized considerably. For this reason, there are far fewer people that have served. The biggest misperception is that when you join, you get programmed to follow orders without question. The truth is that the military has very high standards for education, a high school diploma is the minimum. Most enlisted have or get an AA degree, many have or earn a BA or BS. All officers have at least a BA or BS and most have or earn an MA or MS.

People with this level of education are used to thinking for themselves. Intensive training causes people to appear to be blindly following orders, but its simply that most of the orders are given simply to keep people coordinated and working together. Everybody already knows what they are doing, they just need to know when to not jump the gun so to speak. People don't follow you because of your rank, they follow you because they have confidence that you know what you are doing, and they know the difference, believe me.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh. BA vs. BS.... Ummmmm.... Bachelors-Arts and Bachelor-Science right? Same for Masters and Associates?

Nobody I know who's come out of the military will blindly listen to an order. If anything everyone I know is far more thought-through in their decision making process. Except for one gentleman I knew before he passed. He had super-shell-shock (Post-Traumatic-Stress Disorder) from WWII and the slightest clang, bang, or pop and he'd be under a table in terror. Poor guy. Nowadays there is actual counciling for it though.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Yes, I earned a BS while in service.

Post traumatic syndrome, that can be real tough on people. Everyone has a different level of tolerance for extreme shock, and that can vary in an individual from day to day. Even in similar situations, the level of stress or shock is not always the same. Sometimes the harshest judges are others who have been in the same situation, but I think part of that is the fear that comes with knowing that inches can make all the difference. That is, that inside, they know they may have been just inches or seconds away from the same thing.