I'm So Screwed

Post here about...well...anything!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

I'm So Screwed

Post by Typrus »

Well, driving along, going just a little faster than everyone else. Subaru passes me and keeps his faster speed. I see a cop and start to slow down. Subie just keeps on going. I get pulled over. Me, and not the Subie. 58mph in a 35. Which is funny, because everyone else was likely doing 50, so really not that much quicker. That and Subie-boy goes even faster than that and gets off scot-free.
Well, mandatory court and a "to be determined" point deduction and fine. I dunno if I'm going to be driving after Feb. 26.

Shit.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: I'm So Screwed

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Typrus wrote:(from another thread):I need money before my build can get started again. sigh....
:(
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Yeah. This is completely shredding down my ground I've made over the past month in terms of mindset.
Yeah, I just realized there is very likely going to be a significant increase in insurance. I wouldn't doubt that fact. Which basically leaves me with the oh-so-fantastic questions of- Concentrate on school, or get a job? What can I sell to pay for this? And of course- Why the hell am I such a freaking idiot?
You'd think I'd have learned some sort of lesson by now....

Well, I suppose I have. I don't do 90mph+ runs into school to try and get there on time when I wake up late. I'd rather show up late than with a lovely pink slip or dead. Now if I can just take those extra steps into the land of SLOW THE HELL DOWN! All the time. You'd think 62HP might hold me back a bit....

Man, this sucks big-time. Looks like 19-29mph lands you with between 6 and 8 points in Colorado. I already have 2 points from the 11 over 11 months ago... We'll have to see how this plays out.

Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated and worried right now.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

58 in a 35, I got one for doing 38 in a 35. At least no points and only a $26 fine, but that was 30 years ago. Got two tickets this summer, 11 over and 13 over. It beats the 130 in a 65 when I was your age though.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

wow, harsh penalties for speeding.

I'm never not amazed at how in the US light speeding is taken as seriously as something like assult with a weapon.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

That frosts my chaps too. I don't have stats for how much 10 over increases the change of an accident becoming a fatality but I doubt its any where near the 25X (2500%) that a lift kit does. No one gets a ticket for driving a vehicle that violates bumper height laws here in Tenn. The laws should reflect the danger, not just be a source of revenue.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Amen.

MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

You got it, Keith !! It's just another TAX !!! I'm tired of the government stickin' their hand into all the places they can squeeze it.....then giving millions in tax incentives away to folks who already have millions just so they'll locate a sports franchise in a particular city......

This could get me started on a dangerous rant......I'd better shut up now

Hang in there , Typrus. Maybe the judge will allow you to attend some kind of driving school so you won't have points against you and your insurance increase. I've had plenty of tickets in my driving days, and probably will get more....and feel stupid as s&*t every time I get one. At least with the Terc, it doesn't have the horsepower to really roll at the high speeds.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

MootsMan wrote:.....then giving millions in tax incentives away to folks who already have millions just so they'll locate a sports franchise in a particular city......
Off the topic, but that is exactly what happened in STL when the Rams NFL business relocated to here; it pays just about $50K (!) in rent for each Sunday it works in the TaxPayer Dome we have - meanwhile raking in millions...
And the "Indy" Colts were incredulous at the middle-finger reception they got in Baltimore last week? Gee - wonder why?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The city police I've dealt with (and it seems universal) are pretty bloated. They seem so freaking self-righteous its insane. The county Sheriff's however have always been quite civil. The State Patrol are just comical in their Canadian Mounty style mega-hats and poofy pants. No offense intended, I just think its a funny uniform.
I've seen the local Mexican (not stereotyping... They really are mostly Mexican or Puerto Rican around here) populus driving hydraulic low-riders several times popping while they drive. Stupid-dangerous there. Hell, I saw one pass in front of a Fort Collin cop car, bouncing the whole way. Cop pulled out for the next car along that was going a little fast. Did the whole front wheels leaving the ground thing seem to matter? Apprently not... Heck, I've seen incidents where the hydraulics freeze up and one corner of the car is hiked up 2 feet and they are still driving it.
There are people driving lifted trucks that look like a breeze will topple them. We have a 60 inch headlight rule here, along with several turn/brake/marker light laws (dunno about bumpers) and they are VERY much over that. Do they get ticketed for it? None I've talked to. What if they get hit and a component collapses crashing the 6klb truck chassis and body down on top of whatever just hit along with anything around? Does it matter? Heavens no! Not when my friend can get his license taken for a year from a head-on collision with a Dodge Durango in his 89 BMW 350e doing 65mph for him and 55 for the Dodge with nobody getting injured! (Really, that did happen. He walked away with a chipped vertebra and the women and her 3 kids got scrapes and seatbelt-burn.. didn't press charges but man did the state try) He got all sorts of fines and had to go to court maybe 5 times with the state and county trying desperately to utterly screw him over. Finally the woman and her kids came in and told the state to knock it off.
And yet the guy who rear-ended my sister and her buddy doing 110mph while my sis' friend is in a 97 Prelude doing 5mph (going over railroad tracks) smashing the rear of the Prelude literally up to the back of the front seats and hurling the car across 3 lanes and a median... UPHILL got a month in prison and I think 6 months license suspension.

Wrecks that very much should have killed people? The wreck aspect is not the issue! The speeding leading up to it is!
People driving trucks with their frames rusted all but fully through? No problem! Trucks driving with their rear-end half in the next lane? No problem!

Doing 9 over! CALL THE SWAT TEAM! OH GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! HEAD FOR THE HILLS! AHHHHHH

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

What most people don't seem realize is that there is a boatload of biatches with cell phones (of both or several sexes) around watching what you do. Once you, say, are seen speeding several times...they will eventually set you up for a take down. It's snitch bitch city. Some of this is done by various stalker groups, some partially subsidized or organized by the govt. Welcome to Amerika?

If you play it right...you might get off easy with some "schoolin'" and so forth. Tell them you are a poor struggling student. Tell them you'll never speed again...to the tune of "climb every mountain"? 8)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh. Guess I need a new bumper sticker. Something to the tune of- "Have phone, don't piss me off"
Yeah, I realize this. Its really annoying. And those people are usually the ones off screwing around in the middle of the night or when they don't think anyone is around.

Amerika ist wunderbar... Ja.. lol

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Typrus wrote:The State Patrol are just comical in their Canadian Mounty style mega-hats and poofy pants. No offense intended, I just think its a funny uniform.
FYI: The mounties only wear those outfits in ceremonial type events (very rarely). They don't wear them on regular duty.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

American cops scare me. The thought of ever getting pulled over for speeding down there scares me...although it doesn't seem to stop me. When I bought my MR2 in southern Oregon, I drove about 90mph all the way up to the Canadian border. I saw one cop, and just rammed my brakes for a quick deceleration to 60mph. I thought he had me, but thank God he never pulled out after. Scared the crap out of me.

Typrus, when I was your age (5-10years ago) I had so many points they sent me a letter and told me if I got another ticket I'd loose my drivers license for a year. I was still in school, and had a very hard time paying all those tickets and points off. It really sucked. Funny thing is, I still speed just as much now, but never get tickets. I guess maybe I just got smart...or lucky?

I'd recommend getting a job on the side to help you afford your ticket/cars, but on the other hand, don't do it if it'll affect your grades. If you are planning on going into Mechanical Engineering (which I highly recommend you do - you've definitely got the mind for it), you'll want good grades and good habits.

Good luck man.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

And that is my struggle. My family is in the financial crapper right now and this has not made me or my parents none too pleased. Its going to be hard to work the extra charge in. But at the same time, if I do get a job, there is no way I'd pay attention to my Trig homework, let alone anything else. And Trig is definitly something I have to pass to get into Calc 1. And I'm already screwing myself over in that sense. I really need better time management skills and self discipline.
I am trying to get into an Internet Marketing business though. Its through Alticore (spelling?) Which places #27 on Forbes report of successful private companies. We'll see if I get anywhere with it. A couple of my friends have, but I dunno if I'll have the discipline to talk to as many people as you have to to get the ball rolling.