Oil in the air cleaner assembly...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

tercel4wdrules wrote:I use a spark plug wrench that pivots, that's why I wanted to know how much to tighten the plugs.
You should probably borrow a torque wrench the first time you do plugs just so you get a feel for the right torque...it isn't all that much...but you don't want them loose either. If you get carried away...you can trash the threads...espec if somebody has overdone them before.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I've actually had the thread section of the plugs shear off in the head using a torque wrench. Too easy to have your torque wrench out of calibration and be overdoing it. Its fun having to remove the thread section of the plug from the head. Funny that it sheared before the threads got hurt.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I've actually had the thread section of the plugs shear off in the head using a torque wrench
You can use a beam type torque wrench, they are more accurate, but harder to use correctly. I always check for the expected number of turns, or part of a turn after finger tight, and don't exceed that. For example, if the box says 1/4 turn after finger tight, then I stop at a 1/4 turn.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I adjusted the idle yesterday and I saw what was happening. When I revved it, gray smoke would billow out from the engine breather orifice on the air cleaner. Oil continues to be seen on the bottom part of the air cleaner cover. Also, there seems to be more oil beside the PCV valve than I remember seeing last time... I suppose there's nothing else I can do but put Seafoam and see what happens.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"