fixed rattling pulley, timing gear

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
simon84
Top Notch Member

fixed rattling pulley, timing gear

Post by simon84 »

It took me a while but I thought I'd post pics of a repair I did a few months ago. There was a rattle on the front end of the engine so I tightened the bolt on the front of the crankshaft. That was only a temporary fix and when I got in there the pulley wheel key slot was widened out.
Image[/img]
The key on the crankshaft was also messed up.
The timing belt gear was also similar to the pulley, sorry no pic.
So after a couple of trips to the wreckers I replaced the key, pulley and timing gear. Before the repair it seemed to be running ok even though the cam timing would have been retarded. There was some pinging though, which seemed to improve a little bit. Just put new plugs in. I'm thinking that may help. The old ones looked a bit shot. Funny how it has run pretty good even with these issues.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

When I first did my t-belt...the front pulley bolt could be turned by hand or close to it...but wasn't making noise. Key and slots looked OK...just that there was a few thousands slop and who knows how many degrees looseness. Still running it that way.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Jeeze... And the key didn't fully break? What would do that?
I guess I better check mine! I'm about due for a T-Belt change anyway.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I have no idea how it got this way. The channel on the crankshaft was still ok as far as I could tell. The new key went in pretty well. I was careful to remove the key at the wreckers without mangling it. Maybe someone was less careful in the past and once things started getting loose then it just distorted over time.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The key is mostly there to "locate" the pully vs the crank...the bolt is supposed to keep it in place for the most part.

The real problem comes when the bolt is so loose that the slot in the crank gets chewed up...then you have to custom fit a key and /or do some welding.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...