what a mess help help help .......

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ski_dude

what a mess help help help .......

Post by ski_dude »

hey everyone , this is my first post and what a great site
i had a 83 tercel back in 1990 and now i have a tercel 4x4 83 again but i guess it has a different engine ? it says A3-h it doesnt idel well (bounces from 1.5 to 3.000 rpm i have seen a few post it seems to be "serching " radiator has a hole in it up high so it takes about 8 onces with in 2 minutes but stays at the same level i can watch the water level go up and down with the idel is that a head gasket with bubbles ..?. there is no water in oil or oil in water that i can see . the temp warms up fine to the middle but no hot air from heater at any time . car has 240 on it and around 200k on newer engine car has been abused a great deal but lots of receits for oil changes . is there a good place to get parts for my new project ? my buddy and i are going to to spend a day going threw it what should we do or test for ? my e mail is ski_fly_dude2002 thanx for the help im on yahoo if anyone wants to mail me info thanx Steve
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

A3-H.....? What? Pics please?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ski_dude

wow no reply's all the tec talk stumped ? perplexed ? well?

Post by ski_dude »

i will try and get a photo of the 3A_H... IT SAYS it right on the side of the engine ....hmmmm well thanx anyway for the help peeps
Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

Welcome to the board. Nice to see another portland owner. That makes like 5-6 that im aware of.

The water level changing is normal. Repair the hole with some JB water weld and see if you are loosing coolant.

Good place for parts are U pull it wreckers. Lots of them in the portland area

Bouncing idle, i have no idea. It hasnt happened to me. I'd check the throttle position pot on carb, and see if its moving. If not, start unplugging hoses (making sure to plug the vacuum leak) and see if you can isolate the bounce. Chances are you'll find it if you keep checking parts. Good luck
ski_dude

thanx

Post by ski_dude »

thanx ,i will try doing the water weld . i have my work cut out for me .