Battery DEAD!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Battery DEAD!

Post by takza »

Started driving the Terc again. Battery had sat disconnected for 1 1/2 months...and was fully charged when I put a charger on it....drawing maybe 1.5 amps.

Went out to start it this morning...DEAD. Put the charger on it and it starts charging at 8 amps.

Wondering HOW to test various things to find out what is draining it. Thinking it might be the voltage regulator?

How do you use a meter to test various wires for what's doing the drain thing?

Other methods???
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I have heard of one trick, get a small light bulb, disconnect the - battery cable, connect the light between the - battery terminal and the - battery cable. If the light bulb lights, current is flowing to something.

Then you pull fuses, one by one until the light goes out. The fuse that extinguishes the light is the circuit with the drain. If you have added an electronic radio, it will draw some all the time to maintain its presets.

As to what bulb works, I don't know. For me, I've always looked for something electrical that isn't working, like a power window or something, hat has always been the source of the drain.

Batteries drain internally too, especially as they get older.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well...dumb move...I left one of the 5 doors slightly open...so I'm thinking that did it. Though with a good battery...it should still handle that overnight and start.

I do have a problem with it...partially old battery and partially some kind of other slow drain.

Did some searching and found tha the current being used should be no more than around 30 mAs...depending on the car.

You can ruin a multimeter trying to read amps unless it is down in this range. I do have a 12V test light...but doubt that 30 mAs will light it. Guess I'll set the meter to a high range and go down from there.

The idea of eliminating fused circuits is the way to go....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...