No start when cold...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
just_a_guy84

No start when cold...

Post by just_a_guy84 »

Hi, new here, hope you all can help, I am having a problem starting the tercel, when it is cold I have to turn the key over and over again before anyting will happen, all electronics come on, but when I try to start it acts like the battery is dead and I just get one click...try a few more times and it usually fires, but now it is about -10 and it just takes so damn long..bad sylenoid? bad starter? any connections I should check? crappy battery? HELP.

thanks
Aaron
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

See the thread here - could be worn starter contacts

viewtopic.php?t=1759&highlight=starter
just_a_guy84

Post by just_a_guy84 »

thanks, I will probably tear into it this friday...if I am lucky that is what it will be...chance of me being lucky is pretty grim these days, thanks again.

Aaron
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'd check the batt connxs before getting to the starter. Then see if the alt works by checking voltage...maybe 12V not running...13-14V running??
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

If it gets any colder and the terc has troubles starting, get one of those magnetic oil-pan heaters. I just got one bc i didn't want to install a blockheater and it works great considering it was only $40 cdn. It has allowed the terc to started after a -45 C night (although the battery was having some issues at that temp)

Good luck with the esay fix!
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

(although the battery was having some issues at that temp)
Have you got a battery blanket/warmer for your battery? I used one years ago in Northern Ontario on a Honda Civic - always started right away - but only was looking at -30C or so at the time.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The warmers will help.
There is a little plug on the back of the starter (towards the front of the car) that connects to the solenoid. It toggles it turning over with the ignition, and it likes to come loose and sometimes off on my car.

What oil you have in it? Are your connections corroded much?

Theres a good deal it could be.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
just_a_guy84

Post by just_a_guy84 »

Thanks all, turns out it was bad contacts, pulled the starter over the weekend, now it is good as new. thanks again