Difficulty in shifting into first

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Boxerdog

Difficulty in shifting into first

Post by Boxerdog »

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site, and I'm glad to be here. I never knew about these cars before my boss said how well they did in the snow. We now have an 86 SR5 which amazes me daily with getting in and out of the fields to repair other non-Toyota stuff that constantly breaks.

It's Thanksgiving day, and I haven't taken anything apart yet, but was told that it might be an ajustment under the shift boot. I am thinking more along the lines of clutch adj, any ideas? In order to shift into first, I must lightly lug the engine in 2nd, just a tap, and then it will shift smoothly into 1st.

I've got access to more tools lying around here than I have any business using due to my limited mechanical knowledge at work, but I'm ready to start tinkering this afternoon, and would like to hear of any others that have dealt with this problem. Great site, and I look forward to becoming a regular here.

-M
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Happy Thanksgiving!
Welcome!
Is this just while cold, or at all times?
We have serious problems with our Synchro's, and maintaining good lube in the tranny is very important. Has it been changed that you're aware of? Few people ever change manual tranny lube, but its just as important as auto tranny lube....

It can be clutch related. Dunno if there are any adjustments to the shift lever, but I personally have never looked.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

No external adjustments to the shift lever. If the gear lube is synthetic, you would need to go back to regular. If it has never been changed, you might try 85-140, or there may be some water in there.

You also can get water under the shift boot that can turn to ice in the winter. Remove the console, then remove the six bolts holding the cover on. Thats not the book way but I find it works better than removing the boot, circlip and pulling up.

The clutch is cable operated and has a self adjuster on the clutch pedal. Look up under the dash on the outboard side of the clutch pedal, push down on the clutch pedal with your hand and if the pawl doesn't skip at least 6 teeth before engaging the cable, you need a new clutch. Watch it work one time and this will be clear to you.
Boxerdog

Post by Boxerdog »

Thanks to both, I'll be off to crawl under the dash now...

By the way, this is the second Terc4wd that I've found on the local Craigslist for $300, both needed less than $40 little tinkering parts to be just fine. Just a thought to others who may be looking for another one.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Took me about $80 to get my $400 86 to work like a champ... Until it met a hillside.

I don't see what peoples big deal with the synthetics is. I've never driven a Terc with syn lube in the gearbox, but I've driven era Corolla's, a Celica, and several pickups, and not a one had any issue with the synthetic gear lube. Synchro's are designed to work beyond the lube. My suspicion is that our synchros are so pathetic (I have a factory tech of the day who saw them released through the warranty period of the last 88 who backs me up on that) that they have self-destructed at this point and its just a metal or plastic contact (I'm not sure what backs the synchros) allowing some slippage. Newer synchro's might help that I'd vote.
Though I suppose I should drive with some synth in a T4wd before too many judgements. After all, we did get a wackily engineered box that just might defy all logic.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

mine has that same trouble since i changed to mineral oil, with synthetic no trouble at all
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I've used synthetics in several transmissions. Sometimes no problem, but the Tercel didn't like it. Went back to dyno and it is OK. The only other hiccup I've had with synthetic is an my Nissan truck. When cold, the first 1-2 shift is difficult but after that, everything's fine.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Probably just needs a clutch adjustment?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

New clutch just before change.