3-AC Rod knock/Other possible causes for rattle noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Check this link to the Autozone site; it is to the Repair Guide section peculiar to our Tercels. The permutations for all of the Tercel vac diagrams are available, under the Tune Up heading, as I recall. This site can give more info than the FSM.
If both your OE and replacement diaphragms had/have two pipes, then did you check under the hood for the emissions info sticker? Granted, it can be pretty faded after 20 years or so - or difficult to read, if it was installed wrinkled from the factory, as is mine.
Tom M.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... epairGuide
EDIT:
The correct link for the vac diagrams follows. They are under the "Emissions Systems" section of the site.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... 1b7fe8.jsp
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Jts wrote:I unplugged the 2 vac hoses to my vac advance. Mine only has 2 hoses. Which hose is the one you disconnect to check while timing. The fsm shows u leave the end one connected and disconnect the middle one. Isnt the end one more important, which the middle acting as a booster for it? Ive seen single hose advances that just have the end cap hose. Can anyone shed some light on this. Also, my hose labels fell off. Can anyone tell me what hoses should trace back to what? Thanks
I have the 2 hose type (plus 2 extra 3 hose dists). Does your engine have the 3AC label on it? California?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

Its a 3ac. i dont know about californian or federal since the hood stickers are missing ( and i've never been able to confirm what the C really meant.

Car came stock with a 2 hose can, but i swapped in a 3 hose and plugged one. However, I've already found a working advance and figured out the plumbing. The PO had installed some larger vac hose that was leaking and throwing off my advance. I know how perfectly function advance 5-> 13 degrees, for 5 bucks at the JY
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I thought they were all labeled 3AC...but I guess the C stands for Calif. Fed is 3A?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...