Smart Car USA Debut

Post here about...well...anything!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Smart Car USA Debut

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I see that the Smart Car will debut (in quantity) in the USA late next year.

NOTE: IT HAS LESS HORSEPOWER THAN THE TERCEL 4WD ! ! !

It has 50, whereas we have 62 (at least 20 years ago, anyway)...
However, it is faster than ours, doing 0-60 in 15 seconds.
'Course, we give away a lot of weight and we can seat 5 folks and haul a lot more stuff.
But anyway, it is good to know that we have more power than one NEW car...

I think you folks in Uppermost North America have been getting the car for a year or so, right? But only the diesel version? We in the USA are supposed to get only the gas version, at least for a couple of years.

So - do any of you Canadians have any experience/seen/driven the Smart Car?
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I first saw them in Spain in '99. but we got the Smart here about 2 years ago, but there mostly used for publicity, you can actually get one free if you prove that you drive a lot around the inner city and park on the street etc... ohh and you don't mind driving around in a car completely covered with advertising placards.. Think I'll ride my pushbike for now.

haven't driven one but have seen one on the freeway doing about 110kays and it was doing fine. low power to weight I guess, apparantly very safe (haven't tried this out either) as they are made by Mercedes..
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Have been seeing a few of them on the road for the past year or so. Every time I see one it reminds me of the Isetta, years ago. They seem to get along quite well and keep up with traffic. Have not seen one on the freeway yet, and have no idea how good they are, or cost, etc.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Yeah, they've been here for a while, I don't see too many of them around but there are a few in the area. On highways too. Was in to the Mercedes dealer with my dad last year to check one out and our shoulders were just about touching when we sat in it. I thought I heard about them having some quality issues but other than that I think they're what you see is what you get; Little car for two that gets decent MPG and is easy to park.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the local dealership. They've been selling them here for about a year. 3-cyl, 700cc Turbo. So the rep said.
Wait... I think Mountain View Motors went out of business... Well, I'll try to snap some of the local examples.

Oh yeah, they are gas.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

they are diesel dude, at least here they are. the smart roadsters were gas.

i guess they are OK, but they don't suit my lifestyle and they are more than i am willing to pay.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

http://akasa.ca/smart/smart_car.png

Is exactly what they were selling. They were very much gas. Though there are both versions in Europe.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew