Wheel bearing tools question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Zach

Wheel bearing tools question

Post by Zach »

Just a quick question - will be doing my front wheel bearings in the next few days, and am curious if the special tools indicated in the scanned '85 manual are absolutely necessary, or if my normal box of tools will get me through.

Also - any special tips?

Zach
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Did you do a Search for "wheel bearings"?
It seems that there were a number of threads which included this topic in the posts.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Zach

Yes, I did search.

Post by Zach »

Yes, I did, and the first page or two were all tangentially related to my question, but I didn't come across an answer, after searching 'wheel bearings', 'wheel bearing', '"wheel bearing"' and '"wheel bearings"'.

Guess I'll search again.

Success. Thanks, or no thanks. I'm not sure.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

The 86 used two different wheel bearings, one sealed and one non sealed. They are interchangeable and I think most of the replacements are non sealed so be sure to buy new seals for it. You need the normal hand tools and a ball joint puller or some type of two jaw puller. I do not recommend a pickle fork but it would work. You will also need access to a 20 ton or larger press. The bearings have to be pressed out and in. I tried the freeze the bearing and heat the hub trick but it doesn't work. Its best to just push out the old and push in the new with a press.

Since you have to pull the lower ball joint to do this job, you may want to replace it too. You also have to separate the outer tie rod from the hub so you may want to consider this also, but beware if you do, you could mess up the alignment if you remove the tie rod. If you do decided to do this, realignment is easy. I do my own with a 2x4 and a pencil. If I feel the need to change the camber, then I use a bubble level too.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Thanks Keith - I've got a friend with a press - guess I need to go talk to him.

I picked up a couple of ball joints and seals with the bearings, though didn't want to drop another $100 for tie rods unless I knew I needed them (what are they made of, unobtanium? Guess it's a very model specific part!)

Cheers,
Zach
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I paid about $17 ea. After over 300k, the only reason I had to replace them on one side was because the inner and outer "froze" together and I couldn't align the front end. Ball joints were good too, but since I was changing the bearings, I did them too.
Zach

Only $17?

Post by Zach »

Where did you get them for $17? All of the online places I've seen thus far want arm+leg for the outer ties. Hmm.
zach
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

keith wrote: I do my own with a 2x4 and a pencil. If I feel the need to change the camber, then I use a bubble level too.
viewtopic.php?t=111

How about a writeup in the Repair section on your method?

.....something I'm interested in.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

OK, its on my todo list. I'm a little pressed for time tonight
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

hydraulic press 30mm cup, and nothing else special
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come